Ukrainian Coalition Collapses Amid Political Infighting

16 September 2008

Political infighting has led to the collapse of Ukraine's governing coalition, raising the prospect of difficult negotiations to form a new government or a third parliamentary election in as many years.  VOA correspondent Peter Fedynsky has been following the Ukrainian political drama from Moscow.

Ukraine's governing coalition collapsed less than 10 months after it was formed with a bare minimum of votes in the country's 450-seat parliament, the Supreme Rada. President Viktor Yushchenko's political party left the coalition earlier this month, and Speaker Arseny Yatsenyuk made the collapse official on Tuesday.

Independence political observer Alexander Lytvynenko of the Razumkov Center in Kyiv told VOA that Ukraine's political struggles reflect ambitious personalities and highly differentiated social, cultural and regional differences of the Ukrainian people.  

Lytvynenko says those differences have historic underpinnings, prompting some to favor closer ties with the West, others with Russia, and others still to favor strict neutrality. He notes, however, that pro-Russian sympathies in eastern or southern Ukraine should not be confused with separatism.

Lytvynenko says only insignificant percentages of people throughout Ukraine favor separatism in favor of another country, even in Crimea or the Luhansk Region on Ukraine's eastern border with Russia.  He says what the regions want instead is greater freedom on economic issues, including the right to determine local budgets.

Lytvynenko doubts whether the current parliament will be able to form a new coalition within a required 30 days, which makes new elections likely. The analyst notes that lawmakers who seek re-election must honor the wishes of their constituents, adding that Ukrainians have yet to develop a common political world view. This means Ukraine's democracy could continue to experience difficulties.