US House of Representatives Criticizes Mugabe Government

18 June 2008

In two resolutions, the U.S. House of Representatives criticizesZimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe for ongoing political violence.  VOA's Dan Robison has more in this report from Capitol Hill.

Oneof the resolutions condemns post-election violence in Zimbabwe earlierthis year and calls for an immediate and peaceful resolution of thecurrent political crisis and an end to violence.

The othercommends dock workers and union members in South Africa and elsewherewho moved to block an arms shipment that was destined for Zimbabwe.

New Jersey Democrat Donald Payne, who chairs the House Africa Subcommittee sponsores the first measure:

"Whilemany African countries move to embrace democracy and rule of law, thedictatorship in Zimbabwe has taken the once-promising country to astate of anarchy and haplessness," said Congressman Payne.

Payne's resolution urges a cessation of attacks on and abuse ofcivilians, and condemns what it calls an orchestrated campaign ofviolence, torture and harassment against the opposition by the rulingparty and supporters and sympathizers in Zimbabwe's police and military.

The measurealso encourages the government and opposition to begin a dialogue aimedat establishing a government of national unity and eventual peacefultransition of power through free and fair elections, along withcreation of a South Africa-style truth and reconciliation commission.

Republican Chris Smith:

"Witha runoff election scheduled for June 27th, we need to send a message, agood strong bipartisan message, that we in the U.S. and the worldexpect fair, peaceful, balloting," said Congressman Smith. "The will ofthe people must be heard."

United Nations Secretary GeneralBan Ki-moon on Wednesday expressed profound alarm over the situation inZimbabwe, ahead of the presidential election runoff vote.
Secretaryof State Condoleeza Rice urged the U.N. Security Council and Africanleaders to put pressure on President Mugabe to ensure that voting isfree and fair. The Security Council has scheduled a formal meetingnext week on Zimbabwe.

In a separate resolution, Houselawmakers commend South Africa's Transport and Allied Workers Union andits members for their refusal to unload a shipment of arms that arrivedon a Chinese vessel in the South African port of Durban this past March.

Thisresolution states that the arms were likely to be used by the Mugabegovernment against the political opposition and other civilians, andpraises the Congress of Southern African Trade Unions which joined acall by the International Transport Federation for an internationalboycott of the vessel.

California Republican Ed Royce says theactions of dock workers and union leaders likely prevented a newoutbreak of bloodshed in Zimbabwe.

"The ship of shame, as SouthAfricans began to call it, as African civil society dubbed it, went onto Mozambique where it was turned away, when on to other ports in othercountries where it was turned away, and it steamed back to China," saidCongressman Royce. "Africans stood up for other Africans, an inspiringevent indeed."

House lawmakers also urge U.S. support at theUnited Nations for an international moratorium on all arms, weapons andrelated shipments to Zimbabwe until the country's political crisis isresolved and democracy, human rights and the rule of law are respectedby the Zimbabwe government.

In April, the U.S. Senate approved aresolution containing a call for a peaceful resolution of Zimbabwe'spolitical crisis, and urging a United Nations arms embargo.

Both measures were sponsored by New Jersey Democrat Donald Payne, who chairs the House Africa Subcommittee.

Payne'sresolution urges a cessation of attacks on and abuse of civilians, andcondemns what it calls an orchestrated campaign of violence, tortureand harassment against the opposition by the ruling party andsupporters and sympathizers in Zimbabwe's police.

Republican Chris Smith:

"The ship of shame, as South Africans began to call it, as Africancivil society dubbed it, went on to Mozambique where it was turnedaway, when on to other ports in other countries where it was turnedaway, and it steamed back to China," said Congressman Royce. Africans stood up for fellowAfricans, an inspiring event indeed."