World's Top Athletes Go For Gold In Five Events At 2009 IAAF Athletics Championships In Berlin

19 August 2009

Five medal events are on the schedule Thursday on Day Six of the World Athletics Championships in Germany. As our correspondent reports from Berlin, men go for the gold in three events while the women try for the top of the podium in two.

The women have the first shot at medals Thursday as they vie for the gold medal in the high jump. That's followed by the women's 400-meter hurdles final, where American Lashinda Demus is hoping to make her mark. Demus told VOA Sports she is as prepared as she can be.

"I feel comfortable and ready to really put a good time in in the finals," said Lashinda Demus. "I feel that I'm in the best shape that I could possibly be. There's nothing else more I can do at this point. So I'm ready to go."

In other highlights Thursday, medals will be up for grabs in the men's 200 meters, 110-meter hurdles and the decathlon.

Qualifying heats also begin in the men's 800 and 5,000 meters, and women's hammer throw,  The women will also try to advance to Friday's 200-meters final.