IELTS WRITING testbig SYSTEM

Submitted by YS89 on Sat, 12/26/2015 - 18:33

Hi,

Some time ago, I was getting the same score without any comments or sometimes no flaws.

So I started to post the sample answers written by Ielts examiners. The results were surprising as their score was 6.5, which score, I believe, should be 8 or higher.

Now I'm confused about this system whether I can trust this system and can take my Ielts.

Are you saying that the essays written by Ielts examiners are not worth band score of 8?

Forums

First of all, it is illegal to submit essays which are developed by other people since you don't have the copy right. This is the violation of testbig terms of services.

Second, testbig e-rater will take considerations of your history scores. Even though you can post essays which you think are high in scores, the testbig e-rater will adjust the scores close to your history scores. The e-rater will not think that the score will jump up to 8.0 or over suddenly if the normal score is around 6.5.

Third, can you list those essays which you think are good sample essays but the e-rater gave them lower scores? Testbig e-rater may not give high scores even developed by Ielts examiners. The e-rater will judge essays by following attributes:

No. of Grammatical Errors:
No. of Spelling Errors:
No. of Sentences:
No. of Words:
No. of Characters:
No. of Different Words:
Fourth Root of Number of Words:
Average Word Length:
Word Length SD:
No. of Words greater than 5 chars:
No. of Words greater than 6 chars:
No. of Words greater than 7 chars:
No. of Words greater than 8 chars:
Use of Passive Voice (%):
Avg. Sentence Length:
Sentence Length SD:
Use of Discourse Markers (%):
Sentence-Text Coherence:
Sentence-Para Coherence:
Sentence-Sentence Coherence:

if some attributes are not good enough, still the scores could be low in the view of essay e-rater. Anyway the essay e-rater is not perfect though it is trusted by thousand of users.

As we know, some essays online are not written by Ielts examiners, while still people like to say they are written by Ielts examiners to get more credit. So just be careful.

There is a rule behind the Essay e-rater: the improvement in essay writing is gradually, not suddenly. For example, it is possible for a user to improve the score from 6.0 to 6.5 in 2-3 weeks, but it is not possible to reach 8.0 or over in 2-3 weeks. That's the reason the history scores are greatly appreciated.

Suppose the user wanted to 'test' Essay e-rater and sent one essay by IELTS examiners inside 10 or his/her essays, the Essay e-rater may fail to realize. However, if the user sent 10 essays by IELTS examiners but one essay by the user, the Essay e-rater will consider that the user is really improved.

Another thing is that we have double checked those essays supposed written by 'IELTS examiners' as the user told us, they don't deserve the scores like 8.0 or over in the view of testbig Essay e-rater. There are issues here or there for those essays. It means 'IELTS examiners' are not equal to 'great writers'.