Kinds of GRE arguments.

It is often said that all arguments in the GRE are similar to each; however, from my point of view they are not.
The goal of this topic to classify ETS's prompts and use this information to improve our performance.

The first type is fact type.

Three years ago, because of flooding at the Western Palean Wildlife Preserve, 100 lions and 100 western gazelles were moved to the East Palean Preserve, an area that is home to most of the same species that are found in the western preserve, though in larger numbers, and to the eastern gazelle, a close relative of the western gazelle. The only difference in climate is that the eastern preserve typically has slightly less rainfall. Unfortunately, after three years in the eastern preserve, the imported western gazelle population has been virtually eliminated. Since the slight reduction in rainfall cannot be the cause of the virtual elimination of western gazelle, their disappearance must have been caused by the larger number of predators in the eastern preserve.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.
_____________________________________________________________________________
The second type:

The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend.

"Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as high as that of Fitch and included home sales that averaged $168,000, compared to Fitch's $144,000. Homes listed with Adams sell faster as well: ten years ago I listed my home with Fitch, and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when I sold another home, I listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. Thus, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price, you should use Adams Realty."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
______________________________________________________________________________
The third type:

The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal.

"A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys produce up to twice as much of the hormone cortisol, which primes the body for increased activity levels, as do their younger siblings. Firstborn humans also produce relatively high levels of cortisol in stimulating situations (such as the return of a parent after an absence). The study also found that during pregnancy, first-time mother monkeys had higher levels of cortisol than did those who had had several offspring."

Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.
___________________________________________________________________________________
The question is do you agree with this classification?
Can you submit alternative one?
May you give more arguments like the first and the third? I recon that these are the troublemakers.
Thank you.

Forums

The followings are GRE issue essay topic introductions:

NO 1

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

It is a statement essay: the expression in spoken or written words of something such as a fact, intention, or policy, or an instance of this. You may support, against or partly support to the topics.

Some sample topics for NO 1:

i. The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals.

ii. In any field of inquiry, the beginner is more likely than the expert to make important contributions.

iii. As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more complex and mysterious.

iv. It is primarily through our identification with social groups that we define ourselves.

v. The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them, not by their contemporaries.

vi. In order for any work of art-for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song-to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.

NO 2

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

It is a recommendation essay: a suggestion as to what is a good or sensible thing to do or use in the circumstances. Pay attention to the circumstances. Need to analyze: when the recommendation will not reach the anticipations in some circumstances.

Some sample topics for NO 2:

i. Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.

ii. Nations should suspend government funding for the arts when significant numbers of their citizens are hungry or unemployed.

iii. All parents should be required to volunteer time to their children's schools.

iv. Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country.

v. Educators should base their assessment of students' learning not on students' grasp of facts but on the ability to explain the ideas, trends, and concepts that those facts illustrate.

vi. College students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.

NO 3

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

It is a claim essay: to maintain something is true: to say, without proof or evidence, that something is still true

Some sample topics for NO 3:

i. Claim: Researchers should not limit their investigations to only those areas in which they expect to discover something that has an immediate, practical application.;;; Reason: It is impossible to predict the outcome of a line of research with any certainty.

ii. Claim: Researchers should not limit their investigations to only those areas in which they expect to discover something that has an immediate, practical application.;;; Reason: It is impossible to predict the outcome of a line of research with any certainty.

iii. Claim: Knowing about the past cannot help people to make important decisions today.;;;Reason: We are not able to make connections between current events and past events until we have some distance from both.

iv. Claim: Major policy decisions should always be left to politicians and other government experts.;;;Reason: Politicians and other government experts are more informed and thus have better judgment and perspective than do members of the general public.

v. Claim: Colleges and universities should specify all required courses and eliminate elective courses in order to provide clear guidance for students.;;;Reason: College students-like people in general-prefer to follow directions rather than make their own decisions.

vi. Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.

NO4

Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented above.

It is close to NO 1

NO 5

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim AND the reason on which that claim is based.

It is close to NO 1

NO 6

Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy above and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.

It is close to NO 1

The pattern for new GRE issue essays(suggested by testbig):

paragraph 1: introduction -- explain in your own words about the issue and give a thesis statement at the end. Give a reasonable not a dogmatic statement.

paragraph 2: reason 1 + why reason 1 + example + a small conclusion for this paragraph.

paragraph 3: reason 2 + why reason 2 + example + a small conclusion for this paragraph.

paragraph 4: qualification -- moderate your position. This may involve a sentence beginning with "but" or "however"...

paragraph 5: conclusion -- reinforce the thesis.

New GRE argument essay topics introduction:

NO 1   

NO 2

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

NO 3

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

NO 4

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the advice and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the advice.

NO 5

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

NO 6

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.

NO 7

NO 7 is for new GRE only and is totally different to old GRE. A lot of users failed in NO 7

Hello.There is a couple of questions about issue essay.
First of all, thank you for these hints they are helpfully, at the same time, a have some questions with #4 and #5.
1) the number four seems to be a trouble due to the fact that I ought to address both of the views. From my point of view, this type of issue is an equation. One part is opposite to the second part.
1.1)The question is how much attention should I devote to the side which I do not want to support? What scheme should be used with this type of essay. I know that you recommend TLPE but sometimes I cannot use it.
1.2) Do you have some other shemes?
2) the type 5 of issue prompts seems to be sibling of a claim essay. Do I correct?
3) may you recommend my a couple of authors with good issue (scored 4,5) essays who you consider as a decent example (simle language but cogent development of ideas). I know about icons of the site but unfortunately, their language capacity and expended vocabulary are too superior to mine and thus I hardly can get benefits from them.
Thank you.

1.1) Q: how much attention should I devote to the side which I do not want to support?
A: one paragraph.

Q: What scheme should be used with this type of essay.
A: give two advantages of this side

1.2) Do you have some other schemes?
A: 'schemes' are for beginners. Don't depend on them.

A: Yes

3) may you recommend my a couple of authors with good issue (scored 4,5) essays?
A: No. read essays only by those GRE ideals:
http://www.testbig.com/gre

Hello.
Let's try another way to understand issue topics.

One of the textbook recommends to rewrite an issue prompt as a question. This is a pretty simple task. But it is difficult to write a coherent answer on this wide and equivocal statement thus I want to try to write some more concrete questions.

What questions go beyond the scope of the prompt?

The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals.

Is luxuries prevent developing of a truly independent person?
What relationships is between modern luxuries and becoming a truly independent person.
What is the truly independent individual?
is absence of these convenience will guarantee developing a independent person?
What is the factors which contribute in developing of a really independent person?

I know that some o these questions will be out of scope but this is the goal: to figure out where a demarcation line is located.

May you write some questions which will describe the boundaries of the prompt?

Thank you. I hope that I manage to convey the idea of this question.

You make things complicated. We need to make issue essays easier. For this kind of essay type: agree/disagree or other essay types, we simple give 3 reasons to support:

Try this pattern:

Para 1: introduction. my choice: A or B. agree or disagree. (only support one side here, suppose we agree)

Para 2: First,reason 1 (1 sentence) + why reason 1(some arguments. 2-3 sentences) + examples for reason 1 (around 1 sentences) + small conclusions (like advantages of reason 1 or comparisons if not reason 1, 1-2 sentences).

Para 3: Second,reason 2 ,blabla... do the same thing as First

Para 4: some may disagree: reason 1 and reason 2. however, there are some conditions applied for those two reasons: blabal...., so still I agree.

Para 5: Conclusion. because of those reasons: I agree.
---------------------
we use this topic as an example:

Para 1: introduction. yes, I agree: The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals. here we can define what is strong and independent individuals.

Para 2: First,reason 1 (People may lose motivations in the luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life ) , for example: laziness

Para 3: Second,reason 2 (People may go to a wrong track in the luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life ), for example: drugs,crime

Para 4: some may say: The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life will help people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals. reason 1, reason 2..... however, there is no correlation/ causation ...., so still I agree.

---------------------

Fore GRE issue essays, never try to discuss on two side, we don't have time.

read essays by this user who always supports one side:
http://www.testbig.com/users/sauvikb

Hello.

Sometimes I do not possess enough time/or perhaps use available time wisely/ to write three body paragraphs, from this prospect I want to ask whereas the three body paragraphs are unquestionable demand which should be satisfied under treat of low score or not.

Thank you.

P.s. I ask because if it is a real problem, I will have to change my writing style.

Hello, my reader.

To begin with, I want thank you for your recommendations and feedback has helped my tremendously.

At the same time, I unexpectedly face a problem with issue which is accomplished by instruction No. 4.

1) it seems that this type of prompt consists of two opposing view points, for instance,
Some people believe that scientific discoveries have given us a much better understanding of the world around us. Others believe that science has revealed to us that the world is infinitely more complex than we ever realized.
In other words, the issue asks me either new foundings make our understanding of the world clearer or more obscure.

Am I correct?

2) if I am accurate, those issue ought to created in the same vein; however, the issue which is located below seems to be different.

Some people believe that in order to thrive, a society must put its own overall success before the well-being of its individual citizens. Others believe that the well-being of a society can only be measured by the general welfare of all its people.

The problem is that the first sentance aver "in order to thrive" or conditions of prosperity, at the same time the second sentance is about measuring of well-being.
In other words, to make my disappointment easily understood usually I have a deal with black/white or directly opposing stances, but the problematic issue seems to have two supplementary stances.

am I correct? What do you think about this type of issue. I sincerely hope on your experience and knowledge.

Thank you.

Claim: The surest indicator of a great nation must be the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.

Reason: Great achievements by a nation's rulers, artists, or scientists will ensure a good life for the majority of that nation's people.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

Hello, can you help me to understand this topic?
I cannot grasp the main idea. May you give me an outline on it?

Thank you.
p.s. I have just written an essay on this theme but it seems that it is not good.

There is one here:

1. Admittedly, great achievement can enhance a nations' greatness.

2. however, there is no direct relation between Great achievements and good life.

3. The achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists is only one of the indicators. The surest indicator should be the well-being of people.

Thank you, for your answer!
It is a great outline, I can see discripancy between the claim and the reason.
At the same time, the problem is: I do not know how I should represent the prompt in the introduction and at the structure of the essay. I have tried to find an essay with a good score on this topic but I cannot find one.

I want to ask you about a favour: may you give me example of appropriate intro on this issue?
I ask you because I desperately try to understand how to write and cannot grasp the ideas. In fact, I often see that two parts of issue is incomparable but I have no idea how I ought to represent it in the intro.

I hope that you help me because you possess unique knowledge and expertise in the field.
Thank you.

p.s. this problem has haunted me since I started the preparation to the exam, I can somehow manage to write essays on more strayforward themes.

We think this is a good introduction. It is simple and right on the point:

The claim suggests that a great nation is measured by the achievement of its rulers, artists or scientists. The author's assertion is based on the reason that such achievement could guarantee the well-being of the people. Although there is some truth in this claim, its reason contains a critical assumption and the claim may prove unwarranted on some occasions.

from this essay:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-essays/claim-surest-indicator-great-nati…