Strategies for Redeeming Discounts Coupons

Submitted by emmastnes on Sat, 09/10/2022 - 12:35

So you now have this lovely collection of coupons. What are your plans for them? Here are a few pointers to keep in mind as you begin your couponing adventure:

Keep in mind the purpose of coupons

Coupons are a type of marketing tool. They are designed to persuade you to spend your money on something you would not normally buy. Perhaps the manufacturer wants you to try a brand-new product, so they provide a high-value coupon. Then you fall in love with the product and use it indefinitely. That isn't always a bad thing.

Use coupons only for items you actually need and use on a regular basis

There are so many coupons available that you may be tempted to clip them all, but this is a waste of time. Examine the coupon inserts, printable, and apps carefully and ask yourself, "Is this something my family and I already use?" If you answered yes, proceed to clip the coupon! If the answer is no, you can still use the coupon if it is for a product you've been wanting to try.

Otherwise, just toss it; it's not worth the trouble of keeping it organised, and you might end up purchasing something that clutters up your living space.

Combine coupons and sale prices

The best way to use coupons is to "stack" them on top of sale prices. It's critical to shop sales first, then use any applicable coupons to save money on your total. Assume the regular price of a box of cereal is $3 and you have a 50 coupon. You'll pay $2.50 if you use the coupon when the cereal is full price.

However, if you wait a week or two for a sale, the price may drop to $2, and you can then use the coupon to pay only $1.50 per box. Score!

How to Keep Coupons Organised

To get the most out of your coupons, make sure you keep them organised. What is the point of clipping them if you can't find them when you need them? It's infuriating to walk into a store, see a sale on one of your favourite products, and remember that you clipped a coupon for it once upon a time but have no idea where it is. Here are some ideas for organising your coupons:

Coupon Organizer

Because you can bring all of your coupons with you wherever you go, this is the method of choice for die-hard couponers. You'll clip your coupons and file them in baseball trading card-sized holders inside a zip-up binder, either alphabetically or by category. Remove coupons that have already run out on a regular basis so you don't end up with too many.

The Method of Full Insertion

Instead of clipping individual coupons from Sunday coupon inserts, simply write the date you received them on the front and store them. Hanging file folders in a crate is a good way to keep things organised. Then, before you go shopping, use an online grocery coupon database like Askmeoffers to look for coupons for the items you intend to purchase. Then, instead of clipping every single coupon, you only need to clip the coupons from those specific inserts.

Box of Coupons

This is a variation on the coupon binder method, except that instead of having all of your coupons on display, you store them in envelopes by category inside a plastic box. If you just want to buy toilet paper, for example, pull out your paper products envelope and see what coupons you have for the items on sale. It's a more discrete method of using code such as Aliexpress coupons in the store.

A Binder for Storage

Another option is to collect all of the coupons you intend to use each week and organise them by store. This is especially helpful for remembering store coupons that print at the register or appear in the weekly ad.Savvy shoppers with extra time know that the best deals are usually found at multiple stores each week. To keep your favourite coupons handy, keep a small expandable coupon binder in your purse or handbag.

Folders That Expand

The methods described above are ideal for grocery store coupons, but what about restaurant, gas station, and store coupons? These should be kept in your vehicle or somewhere easily accessible while you're out and about. 

While you may not be an extreme couponer just yet, you can be well on your way to amassing a sizeable stash of coupons. Just keep an eye out for them — they're everywhere!