Standardized testing Standardized tests are exams given to students at the end of each academic year. The results are used to determine whether or not students move to the next grade level. As our society places more emphasis on education, many school dis

Both the reading and the lecture talk about "standardized tests''. Whereas, the reading passage claims that standardized tests have demonstrated to be an excellent tool, useful to evaluate students, the speaker contradict this idea, and states that they are not beneficial for students, rather these tests put too much pressure on students and make then fail during the test.

In the first place, the article support the standardized tests because they have demonstrated to encourage students by creating pressure on them and also, make them study hard. Nevertheless, the speaker does not think that pressure is the best method to teach students, instead, pressure makes students afraid. At the end, they won't have a good performance. Even more, some students might develop other symptoms such as drowsiness or vomit, due to test pressure.

Second, the speaker refutes that standardized tests might help assess students' knowledge. To illustrate this, the professor says that these texts do not let teachers develop their own knowledge. For instance, teachers focus on books that specifically talk about the topics that will appear on the standardized tests. Also, they provide more money to the schools who's student got the higher score, and they neglect the other schools that also, need money to help their students.

Finally, the reading declares that standardized tests determine the weak points where students need help. Notwithstanding, the speaker posits that standardized tests are a few exams that look to evaluate hundreds or students in the wrong way. Because they consider that if students do not meet the requirements to pass, then, they should repeat the same course. So, the speaker clearly disagrees with this point.

Essays by the user:

the speaker contradict this idea,
the speaker contradicts this idea,

the article support the standardized tests
the article supports the standardized tests

to the schools who's student got the higher score,
to the schools whose students got the higher score,