TPO-42 - Integrated Writing Task
The glass is an awesome material adapted in building contemporary architecture, but it is dangerous for birds. Because they have problems to identify the glass due to the transparency of it. The article offers three ways to prevent birds from collision with glass, but these points are opposed by the professor in the lecture.
Firstly, the paragraph suggests that the problem would be solved by building one-way glass. Because the birds can see the opaque appearance of it from outside, they would know they are unable to pass through the window. In contrast, the lecture mentions that the reflection of one-way glass, being seen by birds, like a mirror. It would reflect the background scene, like sky or trees, so birds still try to pass it.
Secondly, the article proposes a color design that could be distinguished by birds and therefore avoid the issue. Still, the professor doesn't agree. Because the colorful designs incorporating thin stripes that could be interpreted as holes by birds. Thus, they would still try to fly through the holes. Moreover, even If the stripes are removed, the space inside becomes much darker and it is inappropriate for human-beings to stay in for long time.
Lastly, the argument presumes that the magnetic field would divert away the flying direction of birds based on their ability, like a compass, to decide where to go. On the contrary, the professor opposes this hypothesis. Because the magnetic field, adapted by birds, is used to travel for long distance, rather than short one. For short distance, birds use their eyes and the brightness of the light to locate destination.
In conclusion, the paragraph offers several points, that the professor contradicts, to avoid the danger faced by birds.
- University education should include an internship 76
- The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station Over the past year our late night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news During this time period most of the complain 59
- "In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population than did the liquid hand soaps currently used in our hospitals. During a subsequent te 66
- Claim The best way to understand the character of a society is to examine the character of the men and women that the society chooses as its heroes or its role models Reason Heroes and role models reveal a society s highest ideals 50
- Most homes in the northeastern United States where winters are typically cold have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating Last heating season that region experienced 90 days with below normal temperatures and climate forecasters predict th 58
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 23 in 30
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 17 12
No. of Words: 288 250
No. of Characters: 1408 1200
No. of Different Words: 158 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.12 4.2
Average Word Length: 4.889 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.554 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 95 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 75 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 45 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 26 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 16.941 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 5.61 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.706 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.326 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.326 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.041 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 1 4