In the United States employees typically work five days a week for eight hours each day However many employees want to work a four day week and are willing to accept less pay in order to do so A mandatory policy requiring companies to offer their employee

In the United States, employees typically work five days a week for eight hours each day. However, many employees want to work a four-day week and are willing to accept less pay in order to do so. A mandatory policy requiring companies to offer their employees the option of working a four-day workweek for four-fifths (80 percent) of their normal pay would benefit the economy as a whole as well as the individual companies and the employees who decided to take the option. The shortened workweek would increase company profits because employees would feel more rested and alert, and as a result, they would make fewer costly errors in their work. Hiring more staff to ensure that the same amount of work would be accomplished would not result in additional payroll costs because four-day employees would only be paid 80 percent of the normal rate. In the end, companies would have fewer overworked and error-prone employees for the same money, which would increase company profits. For the country as a whole, one of the primary benefits of offering this option to employees is that it would reduce unemployment rates. If many full-time employees started working fewer hours, some of their workload would have to be shifted to others. Thus, for every four employees who went on an 80 percent week, a new employee could be hired at the 80 percent rate. Finally, the option of a four-day workweek would be better for individual employees. Employees who could afford a lower salary in exchange for more free time could improve the quality of their lives by spending the extra time with their families, pursuing private interests, or enjoying leisure activities.

Both the reading and the lecture introduce an idea that reducing the work hour for the employee either increase the companies benefits or not. According to the passage, cutting workload with salary of employee ultimately enhance the profit, lessen the unemployment problems and improves the quality of lives of workers. But, the speaker utterly rejects all the assumptions made by the passage.

The reading suggests that companies can make more profit if the set the new policy of lowering employee's salary as decreasing work hour weekly basis. On the contrary, professor believes it actually enhance the costs on the ground new employees have required to fulfill the requirements.

The writer mentions the reduction of unemployment problems, the speaker suggests a contradictory idea by saying this, the situation might raises the company's deserving, the employees have offered overtime or would have done same amount of work at reduced work hours. In this case, there are no extra job positions would increase.

Finally, in perusing, writer believes quality of lives improved much, however, the lecturer mentions another rationale to deny the idea, according to speaker, in spite of raising quality lives it would increase the job risk