Autobiography: Seminole Girl (II)

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 2: Autobiography: Seminole Girl (II)

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) ____________, the Indian girl found a job in a bank.

a. A year after she graduated from college b. Two days after she graduated from college c. Two months after she graduated from college
(2) In the fall of 1966 ___________. a. her father and the president of the Tribal Board asked her to manage an enterprise on the reservation b. she just graduated from college c. she got a job in a bank at Big Cypress
(3) It took her quite some time to decide whether to go back to the reservation because ____________. a. she didn't like her people on the reservation b. she loved her work with the bank and meanwhile she had deep affection and a sense of responsibility for her people c. the pay offered by the Tribal Board was too low.
(4) Some people on the reservation don't seem to like her. Maybe it is because ____________. a. she tried to prove herself better and more knowledgeable than others b. of her father c. they are jealous of her
(5) She is afraid ___________ when she comes back to live on the reservation again. a. she would feel lonely and miss the outside world b. she would be resented by her own people c. she would lose contact with her friends

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
She went through a lot of difficulty getting used to the life outside the reservation.
(2)
She wouldn't feel guilty if she hadn't helped her people on the reservation.
(3)
Being an Indian, she has a strong sense of belonging.
(4)
Among Indians, there is a tradition that people should help each other and share everything.
(5)
She doesn't have any close friends to whom she can tell what she wants.
(6)
Being educated and working off the Indian reservation, she has become different from what her tribal people expected of her.
(7)
She feels quite at home on the reservation when she is back from Miami.
(8)
The old people on the reservation, though kind, can hardly understand how she really feels.

3. Fill in the blanks with what you hear on the tape.
(1) I knew he was
because he had expected me to
.
(2) If it didn't
, if the store
, and I thought I hadn't even tried, I would really feel
.
(3) That's
, that I can talk to them. That's what I look for
, not
, but for
the same things, and
.
(4) They do not
that there are things I miss
. They do not understand
.

Listening answers

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)

(1) I knew he was
because he had expected me to
.
(2) If it didn't
, if the store
.
(3) That's
, not
, but for
the same things, and
.
(4) They do not
that there are things I miss
. They do not understand
.