C. Old Arthur

Listening audio
Listening level
Basic

C. Old Arthur.

1. Choose the best answer (a, b, or c) for each of the following questions.
(1) Where does Old Arthur live?

a. In a village. b. In a small wood. c. In a city.
(2) Who interviewed him recently? a. A reporter from a local newspaper. b. A columnist from a local newspaper. c. A reporter from a national newspaper.
(3) How far is it from where Arthur lives to the village? a. One mile. b. Two miles. c. About a mile.
(4) How often does Arthur go into the village? a. Once a month. b. Once a week. c. Twice a week.
(5) What does he buy from the village store? a. Food only. b. Food and paraffin. c. Food and papers.
(6) How often does he collect his pension from the post office? a. Sometimes. b. Once a month. c. Never.
(7) Where does he get his water? a. From a stream near the woods. b. From a stream near the village. c. From a stream near his hut.
(8) Which of the following does not describe the water in the stream? a. Good. b. Fresh. c. Polluted.
(9) What sort of thing does Arthur cook? a. Simple food. b. A large variety of food. c. Mainly fried food.
(10) What does he cook on? a. A gas stove. b. A paraffin stove. c. An electric stove.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
Very few people know the old man's surname.
(2)
Old Arthur was interviewed a few days ago.
(3)
Old Arthur often gets up early.
(4)
He usually goes to the pub and has a drink there.
(5)
Old Arthur feels very lonely because he doesn't see many people.
(6)
Old Arthur is not rich, yet he considers himself a lucky man.

3. Fill in the blanks according to what you hear on the tape.
(1) Everyone knows him
.
(2) He lives
in the middle of
.
(3) I
every morning with
.
(4) Occasionally, in
, I have to
.

Listening answers

C. Old Arthur.

(1) Where does Old Arthur live?

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
Old Arthur often gets up early.
(4)
(5)
(6)

(1) Everyone knows him
.
(2) He lives
in the middle of
.
(3) I
every morning with
.
(4) Occasionally, in
, I have to
.