News Item 3

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News Item 3:

1. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statements.
(1) Lefty Dresell today
his post as the
at the University of
.
(2) The death of basketball star Len Bias was caused by
.
(3) Dresell's resignation
(did/didn't) come as a surprise to his former colleagues and the general public.
(4) Dresell will remain at the University as
.
(5) Dresell had coached basketball at the University of Maryland for
years.

2. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) Lefty Dresell decided to resign from the post as basketball coach at the University of Maryland because _____________.

a. Lefty Dresell felt guilty for the death of his favorite player b. some influential people were urging the University Chancellor to remove him c. people blamed Dresell for the loss of a basketball star d. Dresell had been cross-examined by a Grand Jury
(2) Dresell stepped down as the head basketball coach, but ______________. a. the University of Maryland promised to hire him again eight years later b. he remained as a member of the Board of Regents c. he did not suffer a great financial loss d. Maryland Chancellor appointed him Athletic Director of the University
(3) Dresell admitted before a Grand Jury that _____________ after the death of Len Bias. a. he had instructed the evidence of drug use to be removed b. he had ordered his assistant to remove the furniture in Bias' room c. he had encouraged his players to abandon academic studies d. he had negotiated with the University about his contract
Listening answers

News Item 3:

(1) Lefty Dresell today
his post as the
at the University of
.
.
(3) Dresell's resignation
.
years.