A Post-Industrial Society (II)

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 2: A Post-Industrial Society (II)

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) for each of the following questions.
(1) What do the Malaysians do to make the work on the plantations more varied and profitable?

a. Making life more interesting. b. Collecting suggestions about it. c. Introducing other products which are compatible with continuing to grow rubber trees.
(2) What are small-holders encouraged to do? a. To raise live-stocks like chickens and turkeys among the trees. b. To plant more rubber trees. c. To increase the output of rubber.
(3) Why has turkey been replaced by sheep as a by-product in the trees? a. Raising turkey doesn't bring big profits. b. Turkey does not go along with chickens among the trees. c. The Malaysians don't like eating turkey.
(4) Which of the following is NOT the reason for raising sheep among the rubber trees? a. They supply meat acceptable to Hindus and Muslims in Malaysia. b. They feed on the seeds of the rubber trees. c. Their milk, wool, and skin are of commercial value.
(5) What will be the next meeting? a. At 18:15 next Monday. b. At 8:15 next Monday. c. At 8:50 next Monday.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
Profits on chicken have proved to be encouraging.
(2)
Turkeys could live well off the seeds of the rubber trees.
(3)
Raising sheep among the rubber trees is money-saving and labor-saving, too.
(4)
With some livestock introduced in rubber production, the rubber plantation small-holders don't have much to worry about.
(5)
This talk is one of the series "Other lands, Other problems".

Listening answers

Task 2: A Post-Industrial Society (II)

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)