Psychology of Clothes

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 1: Psychology of Clothes

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The clothes one wears in a way ______________.

a. reflect his personality b. show his social position c. indicate his economic condition
(2) Generally speaking, the way people are dressed is _____________. a. an unconscious act b. a conscious act c. determined by different occasions
(3) We can tell what a person is like by ______________. a. the size of his clothes b. the colour of his clothes, his age, and his social position c. the colour and length of his clothes, his haircut, the materials he uses, etc.
(4) The second speaker feels that many employers' view on clothes are _____________. a. quite liberal b. a bit conservative c. encouraging to fashion-followers

2. Identification. Based on what you hear on the tape, match the person in Column I with the way one is dressed in Column II.
Column I
(1) a man absorbed by other things
(2) a person of minority origin
(3) a homesick student
(4) a young executive
(5) a sociable and outgoing person
Column II
a. in warmer clothes
b. in bright reds
c. with trousers at half-mast
d. unconventionally
e. in dark blue suit
Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
People usually wear smart clothes for a job interview in order to impress the employer.
(2)
Aggressive clothes can never indicate aggressive personality and attitude to life.
(3)
A middle-aged pop star may be dressed in a rebellious way in order to keep in touch with his young fans and current trends.

4. Fill in the blanks according to what you hear on the tape.
(1) People are beginning now to take seriously the idea of a kind of
, to believe that there is not just
in our clothes but also
which is trying to express something we may not even
.
(2) They want to
to sell clothes, so I can't really say that I
with it. There should be
, leaving people
in what they are wearing.

Listening answers

Task 1: Psychology of Clothes

Column I
(1) a man absorbed by other things
(2) a person of minority origin
(3) a homesick student
(4) a young executive
(5) a sociable and outgoing person
Column II
a. in warmer clothes
b. in bright reds
c. with trousers at half-mast
d. unconventionally
e. in dark blue suit
Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)

, to believe that there is not just
in our clothes but also
.
(2) They want to
with it. There should be
, leaving people
in what they are wearing.