A Saturday Afternoon

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

A Saturday Afternoon

1. Match the names in Column I with their identification in Column II.
Column I
(1) Gillian
(2) Dr. Carmichael
(3) Maurice Featherstone

Column II
a. the president of St Alfred's Hospital
b. the gardener of the hospital
c. a new research assistant

Answer: (1)
; (2)
; (3)
.

2. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) St Alfred's Hospital is considered most exclusive because _____________.

a. it accepts all people with mental illness b. it only accepts people with serious mental illness c. it only accepts extremely rich people with mental illness
(2) Gillian parked her car _____________. a. outside the hospital gates b. outside the main entrance of the hospital building c. in the park of the hospital
(3) Gillian came to the hospital to _____________. a. research on the problems of long-stay patients b. solve the problems of Maurice Featherstone c. be a doctor in the hospital
(4) After Maurice entered the hospital, _____________. a. he never went out b. he only went to the village on weekends c. he only went out to see flower shows
(5) Maurice had been the gardener of the hospital for ___________ years. a. forty-five b. thirty-five c. twenty
(6) Maurice returned to the hospital for his birthday party _____________. a. before 4 o'clock b. at 4 o'clock c. after 4 o'clock

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
The first time Gillian met Maurice, he was watering the flower beds near the gates of the hospital.
(2)
If you want to see Mr. Carmichael in his office, you should go through the main door, turn right, walk down to the end of the corridor. It's the last but one door on the right.
(3)
Dr. Carmichael knew that Gillian was coming.
(4)
Gillian interviewed the patients during the day and write up results in the evening.
(5)
Dr. Carmichael never asked Gillian to interview Maurice, because Maurice was already a normal person in his mind.
(6)
Maurice did not set fires in the hospital because he had never been given a chance.
(7)
Gillian tried to persuade Maurice to leave the hospital, but Maurice was unwilling to do so.
(8)
The end of the story suggests that it was Maurice who set the fire.

4. Fill in the blanks with information about Maurice.
Name: Maurice Featherstone
Sex:
Age:
(young/old)
Appearance:
,
,
eyes;
hair and a
complexion
Temperament: gentle and
Length of stay in the hospital:
years
Reasons for entering the hospital:
(1) When he was seventeen, he
.
(2) Over the next few years, there were
in his
.
(3) Later he tried to
.
Visits from family members:
(often/sometimes/never)
Bills: be always paid

5. Fill in the blanks.
(1) Gillian felt
as the porter unlocked the gates and
.
(2) Some of the patients were
and
, some seemed almost
. Only one or two had to be
. She found it hard to believe that all of them had been thought too
to
.
(3) She arranged
to give him a party. They wanted it to be
and Dr. Carmicheal agreed to let him
for
. There was a
in the village. Maurice seemed
. The cook had made
and the staff had
.

Listening answers

A Saturday Afternoon

Column I
(1) Gillian
(2) Dr. Carmichael
(3) Maurice Featherstone

Column II
b. the gardener of the hospital
c. a new research assistant

Answer: (1)
; (2)
; (3)
.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)

Name: Maurice Featherstone
Sex:
Age:
(young/old)
Appearance:
,
,
eyes;
hair and a
complexion
Temperament: gentle and
Length of stay in the hospital:
years
Reasons for entering the hospital:
(1) When he was seventeen, he
.
(2) Over the next few years, there were
in his
.
(3) Later he tried to
.
Visits from family members:
(often/sometimes/never)
Bills: be always paid

5. Fill in the blanks.
(1) Gillian felt
as the porter unlocked the gates and
.
(2) Some of the patients were
and
, some seemed almost
. Only one or two had to be
to
.
(3) She arranged
and Dr. Carmicheal agreed to let him
for
. There was a
in the village. Maurice seemed
. The cook had made
and the staff had
.