Shop-lifter

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 2: Shop-lifter

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) This conversation takes place _________.

a. between a shop assistant and a customer b. between a shop assistant and a shop-lifter c. between a policeman and a shop-lifter
(2) This conversation takes place __________. a. in a department store b. at a cosmetic shop c. in the street
(3) The man stops the woman in order to ___________. a. have a look in the woman's bag b. start a conversation with her c. rob her purse
(4) The man has been very __________ while the woman __________. a. arrogant and rude; polite and cooperative b. polite and insistent; arrogant and dishonest c. polite and insistent; friendly and honest

2. Complete the information about the use of the following articles according to what the woman says.
(1) Six lipsticks: She likes to
.
(2) Five powder-compacts: She
a lot, so she has to use a lot of powder.
(3) Ten men's watches: She gets very
if she doesn't know
.
(4) Fifteen cigarette lighters: She is a
; she uses lighters for
and for
. And she is a lighter
.

3. Complete the following sentences with what you hear on the tape.
(1) Would you mind
me
your bag?
(2) I advise you to
.
(3) So may I look in your bag, Madam? We don't want to
.
(4) I must
what you have in your bag.
(5) No
to be
, madam. I thought I'd
.
(6) I'll apologize for
.
(7) One has to
these days; one's house might
while one's
...

Listening answers

Task 2: Shop-lifter

(1) Six lipsticks: She likes to
.
(2) Five powder-compacts: She
(3) Ten men's watches: She gets very
if she doesn't know
.
; she uses lighters for
and for
. And she is a lighter
.

(1) Would you mind
me
your bag?
(2) I advise you to
.
.
(4) I must
what you have in your bag.
(5) No
to be
, madam. I thought I'd
.
(6) I'll apologize for
.
(7) One has to
these days; one's house might
while one's
...