Special Report

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

Special Report

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The theme of the book, The Reckoning, is __________.

a. that hard work leads to success b. that the "American Century" has become the "American Crisis" c. that Catayama is an exuberant man d. that an increase in the workers' wages changed them into consumers
(2) Halberstam talks about one important year in American automobile business and that is _________. a. 1934 b. 1944 c. 1964 d. 1974
(3) At the beginning, Catayama sold ___________. a. pick-up trucks b. tractors c. luxurious cars d. Model T
(4) At that time, Americans regarded the vehicle that they had purchased from Catayama as __________. a. a truck b. almost everything c. a toy d. a luxury
(5) Ford decided to pay his employees ___________ at a "revolutionary time in American labor history". a. four dollars a week b. four dollars a day c. five dollars a week d. five dollars a day
(6) Kadsundo Kohamu was ____________. a. a Japanese b. an American c. a Chinese d. an Englishman
(7) Kohamu was the inventor of the first ___________. a. Nissan b. pick-up truck c. Datsun d. Model T
(8) Kohamu is buried in __________. a. Japan b. the United States c. China d. Britain

2. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statements.
(1) Reason for Catayama going to the United States:
    He was
in a Japanese company and was almost
to the United States.
(2) Reason for the "American Century" also being called the "Oil Century":
    At the
of the century, oil was found in
and supplied as an
.
(3) The significance of wage increase given by Henry Ford to his employees:
    He turned his workers into
for the
.
(4) Reason for Kadsundo Kohamu coming to love Japan:
    Kohamu began to love Japan because he discovered that Japan respected
and was
. He loved the
and
there. What is more, he was
there.

Listening answers

Special Report

He was
in a Japanese company and was almost
to the United States.
    At the
of the century, oil was found in
and supplied as an
.
    He turned his workers into
for the
.
and was
. He loved the
and
there. What is more, he was
there.