Special Report

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

Special Report

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The contract proposal was put forward by _____________.

a. winery workers b. winery owners c. workers' union d. the Winery Owners' Association
(2) The contract proposal demands ______________. a. increase in production b. raises in wages c. cuts in production d. cuts in wages and benefits
(3) Californian wine workers started their strike ____________. a. six weeks ago b. three weeks ago c. last week d. early this week
(4) Despite the strike, winery owners have succeeded in continuing their production, relying on __________. a. automated plants and union workers b. automated plants and non-union laborers c. automated plants and members of the Winery Owners' Association d. automated plants and well computerized production lines
(5) According to Peter Mondaby, the strike has little effect on the wine production because ____________. a. many plants have been completely automated b. the time when winery owners need all the help has been over c. the union contract expired at the end of July d. it is easy to train new workers
(6) As a matter of fact, winery owners seem to have been bothered more by ____________. a. the picket line of union workers b. the training of new workers c. the heavy rainfall in the area d. cheap wine imports from Europe
(7) The California wine industry suffered a great deal during the last few years because of _____________. a. continuous workers' strikes b. high wages for workers and lower prices for jug wines c. heavy rainfalls and other bad weather conditions d. cheap wine imports from Europe
(8) Hannah Stockton believed that, three or four years back, _______________. a. there was a depression in winery industry b. there was an increase in sale c. winery industry was on the uptrend d. there was a great demand for wine coolers
(9) Spaulding Vineyards is ___________ Charles Krug and Gallo. a. twice the size of b. much smaller than c. of no smaller size compared to d. much bigger than

2. Spot Dictation. Listen to the tape again and fill in the following blanks.
    Wages for workers in the winery industry
from around $
to $
per hour.
was willing to give up
in wages, but refused to accept
and
. The employers reportedly want
in the wages and benefits package. Winery owners say
has to recognize that
have increased.

3. Identification. Match each item in Column I with one item in Column II by recognizing the person's identity.
Column I                 Column II
(1) Peter Mondaby       a. general manager of a winery in Calistoga
(2) Pat Scoley           b. union official
(3) David Spaulding     c. striking worker
(4) Jerry Davis         d. union worker
(5) Hannah Stockton     e. Owner of Charles Krug Winery

Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
.

Listening answers

Special Report

from around $
to $
per hour.
was willing to give up
in wages, but refused to accept
and
. The employers reportedly want
has to recognize that
have increased.

Column I                 Column II
(4) Jerry Davis         d. union worker

Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
.