Task 1: British Newspapers

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 1: British Newspapers

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
Professor Hill does not think that many British newspapers are real newspapers because they don't contain news at all.
(2)
The real newspapers are more serious than the popular papers but the latter have a larger circulation.
(3)
Professor Hill thinks highly of the newspapers he buys every day.
(4)
Professor Hill thinks that his favourite newspaper is much better than the popular papers and that others should read this paper, too.

2. Choose the best answer(a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) In Britain the popular papers are to do the following except __________ people.

a. to shock b. to instruct c. to amuse
(2) Facts show that the vast majority of British readers want __________. a. no proper papers at all b. a proper paper c. more than a few papers of entertainment
(3) If an intelligent person finds a copy of Professor Hill's favourite paper 50 years from now, he will still find it __________. a. entertaining and amusing b. interesting and instructive c. shocking and surprising

3. Fill in the blanks with information about Professor Hill's favourite paper.
News:
    (1) Political matters are covered
.
    (2) The editorial column may
government policy on one issue and
it on another.
Book Reviews: a
page for it
Art: a
page for the
happenings in the
, the
and the
Economics:
    (1)
prices are quoted daily.
    (2)
are reported daily.
Sports: The correspondents are among the
in the country.
Readers' Letters: The standard is absolutely
.

Listening answers

Task 1: British Newspapers

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

a. to shock b. to instruct c. to amuse

News:
    (1) Political matters are covered
.
    (2) The editorial column may
government policy on one issue and
it on another.
Book Reviews: a
page for it
Art: a
page for the
happenings in the
, the
and the
Economics:
    (1)
prices are quoted daily.
    (2)
are reported daily.
in the country.
.