The Unfortunate Story of the Lost Money

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

The Unfortunate Story of the Lost Money

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The narrator had been in ___________ for several years.

a. North America b. North Africa c. England
(2) The narrator would have a three-month holiday back ___________. a. in North America b. in North Africa c. in England
(3) He would ___________ when he left. a. close his house up b. ask his cook to manage the house c. ask the police to keep a careful watch on the house
(4) All the rooms of the house opened on to ____________. a. a corridor b. a balcony c. a veranda
(5) The police refused to come and search the cook or look round the house unless ___________. a. the narrator had got some evidence against him b. the narrator made a definite accusation against him c. the narrator had got a witness of what had happened

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
The narrator remembered putting his sixty-five pounds into the papers in the top left-hand drawer of his desk.
(2)
Idris knew where to get the keys to all the rooms in the house.
(3)
Thinking Idris was a coward at admitting stealing the money, the narrator waited for a couple of days.
(4)
The narrator continued to work there for another couple of years after he sent away Idris.
(5)
The narrator finally found his lost money when he was reading a magazine.

3. Fill in the blanks.
(1) He absolutely
at this and gave me a
. Anyway, I had quite made up my mind although I had
to tell him.
(2) Terrible difficult because I was
, never to come back in about
after that ... feeling that one had done something
which one couldn't
. And I didn't
what had happened to Idris, in fact. Pretty
.

Listening answers

The Unfortunate Story of the Lost Money

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)

3. Fill in the blanks.
(1) He absolutely
at this and gave me a
to tell him.
(2) Terrible difficult because I was
, never to come back in about
which one couldn't
. And I didn't
.