The Years to Come (I)

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 1: The Years to Come (I)

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete the following statements.
(1) This talk is broadcast __________.

a. on radio b. on TV c. neither a or b
(2). Dr Reginald Healy ____________. a. is an expert on life in the future from MIT b. is an expert on nuclear power c. works for The years to come
(3) According to what Dr Healy say, the world in 2000 _____________. a. will take quite a new look b. will be more progressive and the life better c. will be more crowded and polluted
(4) Now human beings are faced with ____________. a. a shortage of oil, water, forests, etc. b. a shortage of labour power c. a colder climate
(5) Greenhouse effect ____________. a. is the result of decreasing the amount of carbon dioxide b. has reduced the heat of the sun in the lower atmosphere c. could melt the polar ice caps, which would cause disastrous flooding
(6) The most serious problem with nuclear power stations ____________. a. is the accident at Chemoby 1 b. is the disposal of their waste c. lies in how much Strontium 90 and Plutonium-239 are available.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
The constantly increasing food production can never catch up with the increasing population.
(2)
The world population today is 1,500 million and it would reach 6,500 million in 2000.
(3)
There are 250 births and 100 deaths every minute in the world.
(4)
Hopefully the world will suffer less from the loss of its forests because very few people use wood fuel now.
(5)
Carbon dioxide and other chemicals which derive from use of fossil fuels won't increase the quantity of acid rain.
(6)
Carbon dioxide will cause a number of species to become extinct.
(7)
Nuclear plants are a constant menace to life on this planet.
(8)
Strontium 90 needs storing for 5,000 years, being kept in any temperature.

3. Complete the following sentences with what you hear on the tape.
(1) This means there is an increase of
people per day, and
of this increase is in
.
(2) So at least
these needs will have to be met by
.
(3) Due to
there will be enough water only for
.
(4) Hundreds of thousands of
will be lost because of
.
(5) I'm afraid that if this trend doesn't change
we won't be able to do very much to
.

Listening answers

Task 1: The Years to Come (I)

(1) This talk is broadcast __________.

a. on radio b. on TV c. neither a or b

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)

(1) This means there is an increase of
people per day, and
of this increase is in
.
(2) So at least
these needs will have to be met by
.
(3) Due to
there will be enough water only for
.
(4) Hundreds of thousands of
will be lost because of
.
we won't be able to do very much to
.