ACT English OG Test 2 - The Kam Wah Chung & Co. Museum

Questions 1-15 are based on the following passage.

The Kam Wah Chung & Co. Museum

To the casual observer, the Kam Wah Chung & Co. building, located in the eastern Oregon community of John Day, Q1 that is, simply a small, unassuming structure made of rock and wood. To those with an interest in history, however, it's a unique building that Q2 preserves a part of the legacy of the Chinese community in the nineteenth-century American West.

Built in the 1860s, the Kam Wah Chung building first served as a trading post for travelers who Q3 attract to the land east of the Cascade Mountains by news of gold strikes there. In 1887, the original owner sold the building 4 The men combined their skills, organized a group of investors, and Q5 remains in business together for more than fifty years.

Educated in the Chinese classics and fluent in English, Lung On was a skilled merchant who built a successful textile and import business. He also sold food and supplies to local miners. His partner, Doc Hay, established an herbal medicine clinic. Hay became famous throughout central and eastern Oregon Q6 when be would make perceptive diagnoses and curing patients Q7 whose previous treatments had failed. 8Over time, the partners' building evolved into a social, medical, and supply center, as well as a post office, library, and herb shop.9

[1] Hay and On's businesses prospered through the turn of the century, dwfog the Great Depression, and Q10 beginning the 1940s. [2] Because the climate in eastern Oregon is semi-arid, the artifacts left inside-including gold-mining tools, rare antique furniture, financial documents, and a thousand different herbs-were preserved. [3] Although On died in 1940, Hay continued to run Kam Wah Chung & Co. until 1948. [4] After Hay's death, his nephew inherited the building and donated it to the city of John Day. [5] For almost twenty years, it remained locked. [6] The building was restored by the state of Oregon in the 1970s and Q11 has became the Kam Wah Chung & Co. Museum. [7] Designated Q12 as being called a National Historic Landmark in 2005, Q13 besides, it encapsulates an era. Q14

Question 1