Some people believe that corporations have a responsibility to promote the well-being of the societies and environments in which they operate. Others believe that the only responsibility of corporations, provided they operate within the law, is to make as

Some people believe that corporations have a responsibility to promote the well-being of the societies and environments in which they operate. Others believe that the only responsibility of corporations, provided they operate within the law, is to make as much money as possible.

Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.

In contemporary society two viewpoints on liability of big business co-exist. One the one hand, we have the belief that corporations ought to be socially responsible and should promote well-being of the society and environment. On the other hand, we have the idea that the main goal of corporations is to earn money and thus we can only expect from them that they will operate within the law. Although initially those prospects seem to be in confrontation with each other, as far as I am concerned they are complementary to each other and only by perceiving them together we may understand the role and responsibility of big business in our societies.

To begin with, I assume that no one will argue against the idea that the main purpose of any business is to make profits; otherwise, an enterprise will be named as a nonprofit organization. Consequently, it is reasonable to claim that corporations ought to compel and follow the law which is created by governments to restrict and steer business’ actions. In other words, government creates rules or norms of business activity and then enforces them. As a result, a business has to act within the law in attempt to generate wealth. In other words, it is direct and explicit responsibility and breach of it will lead to penalty.

At the same time, the second stance that big business is liable for well-being of societies and environment has its right to exists as well. In fact, in recent years we often hear from heads of countries and corporations about it. For instance, Mr. Putin in his presidential speech underscored that business with its possibilities and money may help societies in which one works. Similar words we heard from president Obama and chancellor Merkel who tried to invoke business consciousness as well. And business has responded on this exhortation. To illustrate an idea, we may take a look at McDonalds and other fast food restaurants which have recently added in their menu vegetables and food free of fats. This step is a response on the problem of many developed countries - obesity. In fact, those corporations made a step further and gave people a choice to be healthy. This is one example of many which demonstrates that contemporary business has understanding that it is responsible for our future and future of the planet.

However, it seems that we have a dilemma because two viewpoints which seem to be in conflict with each other exist simultaneously. But a closer glance at the paradox reveals us that both those stances are complementary characteristics of today's corporations. Big business acts within the law in order to make profits and does it in the way which may create well-being in societies and environment in which it works. For example, we may take a look at such carmaker as Tesla which promotes electric cars which are friendly to the environment, their emission of greenhouse gases equals zero, many of materials which are used to build those cars may be recycled etc. Moreover, those cars are safe to drive as well. At the same time, those cars are sold for money and Mr. Musk has profit from those sales. Similar conduct we may see in many big businesses which try to improve well-being of societies where they operate.

In conclusion, although many of us tend to believe that liability of corporations is limited by the law and the desire to make profit, in today's reality, big business is responsible for promotion of well-being of people and preservation of environment in case, those actions do not impede the making money.

Sentence: At the same time, the second stance that big business is liable for well-being of societies and environment has its right to exists as well.
Description: The token to is not usually followed by a verb, present tense, 3rd person singular
Suggestion: Refer to to and exists

-------------
arguments: OK
-------------