The following appeared as a letter to the editor of a national newspaper."Your recent article on corporate downsizing* in Elthyria maintains that the majority of competent workers who have lost jobs as a result of downsizing face serious economic hardship

The following appeared as a letter to the editor of a national newspaper.

"Your recent article on corporate downsizing* in Elthyria maintains that the majority of competent workers who have lost jobs as a result of downsizing face serious economic hardship, often for years, before finding other suitable employment. But this claim is undermined by a recent report on the Elthyrian economy, which found that since 1999 far more jobs have been created than have been eliminated, bringing the unemployment rate in Elthyria to its lowest level in decades. Moreover, two-thirds of these newly created jobs have been in industries that tend to pay above-average wages, and the vast majority of these jobs are full-time."

*Downsizing is the process whereby corporations deliberately make themselves smaller, reducing the number of their employees.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

An attentive reader of the national newspaper seems to have found an incongruity in a recent article on corporate downsizing in Elthyria. According to him, the article’s claim that downsizing has baleful consequences in terms of economic hardship and work opportunities on those who lose their jobs, is in contradiction to a recent report revealing a flourishing job market in Elthyria characterised by the creation of many well-paid, full-time jobs and a decreasing unemployment rate. In order to assess whether the author of the prompt is right or wrong further evidence is needed. Particu...