Critical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field.Be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

ZhicongLiang's picture

The author of the issue states that critical judgment is of use only when it is from someone who is an expert in that field. Due to controversial nature of this problem, there is not a general argument for this issue. I am, however, to a great extend, against the statement. In the ensuing paragraphs, convincing reasons will be delineated.

For one thing, a lot of innovative ideas come from those who dare to try but may not be an expert. An expert is easily be fettered by his experience and could not broaden his imagination and try some new thing. For example, an old professor in mathematics may consider a math problem, like to Four-Color problem, unsolvable based on his long-time research. And he may advise his student to give up this topic and focus on other ones that seem to be more fruitful. However, this judgement may not be all the case. Some young researchers who master the skill in computer and dare to try may find a new way to prove a math theory with computer, breaking the traditional limitation. In this case, expert's judgment may fetter our imagination and cause us to miss the opportunity to do something very unprecedented.

For another, expert could not precisely judge or predict a lot of things in such a changeable society. For example, in the field of fashion, we could not expect what may be the trend for next season. In this case, a wise fashion company should not rely totally on the expert to predict what may be the trend in the next season but try to lead the fashion by innovative design based on reliable marketing information and scientific analysis.

However, what I have allude to above does not draw the who picture. For example, with his experience, a expert's judgment maybe more practical and safer. For example, ideas comes from a someone new to this field maybe innovative, but it may be not practical since he lacks the experience the judge what is viable and what is not.

In conclusion, according to the reasons discussed above, I reiterate that not just the critical judgement from expert in that field is useful. A lot of innovative and more valuable judgement may comes from someone who dare to image even though he may not an expert in that field.