You are hereHuman beings do not need to eat meat in order to maintain good health because they can get all their food needs from meatless products and meatless substitues. A vegetarian diet is as healthy as diet containing meat. Argue for or against the opinion above

Human beings do not need to eat meat in order to maintain good health because they can get all their food needs from meatless products and meatless substitues. A vegetarian diet is as healthy as diet containing meat. Argue for or against the opinion above

naresh dubaka's picture

By naresh dubaka - Posted on 28 August 2013

Human beings do not need to eat meat in order to maintain good health because they can get all their food needs from meatless products and meatless substitues. A vegetarian diet is as healthy as diet containing meat. Argue for or against the opinion above.

In the modern life, people become increasingly more health conscious. They not only care about delicious food but also balanced and moderate eating. This has contributed to a high occurance of vegetarians. However, I am skeptical an idea that human beings do not need to eat meat in order to maintain good health because they can get all their food needs from meatless products and meatless substances and a vegetarian diet is as healthy as a diet containing meat. To me, this saying is not absoulutely right for some reasons.

In general, the human body needs protein to survive and thrive. Protein not only comes from meat but also from many plant sources such as grains,nuts,seeds,beans,whole grains and soy products. Meat is called complete protein because it contains all the amino acids that the body needs while soy beans are the only plant source of complete protein. Many other good sources of protein from plant are legumes,nuts,seeds and whole grains but they need to be eaten in combination to supply the full range of amino acids. Therefore if there is enough protein provided to satisfy your total daily requirement, you can totally be healthy without meat.

However, meatless products and meatless substances generally cannot provide as much vitamins and minetals as meat products do for instance, if you want your body to be provided sufficient calcium. you have to eat bout 3 kg potatoes per day. This is impossible and vitamin B12 is not formed in significant amount in any plant foods. More important, people do not eat meat have to eat many meals per day to get enough protein because the amount of protein in plant products is less. As a result a vegetarian diet cannot be as healthy as diet containing meat.

In briefly, it doesn't matter what kind of life style you are living. The most important thing you are better to know is that you need to supplement enough calarious that your body needs and get into regular daily exercise.