Essay topics: In many countries, the proportion of older people is steadily increasing. Does this trend have positive or negative effects on society?
In the modern times, the increase in the percentage of aged population is a significant feature in many developed countries. There are some who fear that caring for the elderly would be to great a burden for the younger generation. However, in my view, this trend, indeed, has both positive and negative effects on society.
It is true that as population become more frail due to the ages, there would be a number of undesirable consequences. One of the main effects is that supporting retired people, either through direct financial support from younger relatives or through the tax and benefits system, will be come more expensive. In other words, young people have to pay more for caring the aged and their disposable income also dwindle because of paying higher money for taxes. It is not all, these effects also carry other following negative results. As the states support more significantly for the aged in terms of subsidizing in nursing and aged-related facilities, the balance of government's funding could be negatively influenced. To address this problem, they would get money from other type of taxes and by importing more workers from other countries. This eventually lead to the life of civilians become more complicated as well as deteriorating the culture of host countries.
However, this trend also have some clear advantages for the whole society. The more percentage of age population means that people nowadays would be healthier. In addition, there would be more extended family which is commonly regarded as a better place for children to grow up. What is more, the experience of aged people is also a substantial source for exploiting. Take for example Britain, where the government prolong the retired ages to let old employees continue to contribute to society.
Overall, aging population has some disadvantages for society; however, there are still many benefits depending on how we react to it.
- Some people believe that pressures of modern life are having negative effect on family life. Do you agree or disagree? (55)
- University should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject.To what extend do you agree or disagree? (80)
- University should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject. To what extend do you agree or disagree? (70)
- Young people in the modern world seem to have more power and influence than any previous young generation.Why is this the case?What impect does this have on the relationship between old and young people? (67.5)
- The chart below give information about the way in which water was use in different countries in 2000.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisions where relevant. (81.4286)
- Modern societies need specialists in certain fields, but not in others.Some people therefore think that governments should pay university fees for students who study subjects that are needed by society. Those who choose to study less revelant subjects sho (75)
- The table below shows the results of survey to find out what members of a city sprots club think about the club's activities, facilities and opening hours.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make any comparisions wh (80)
- Advanced medical treatments are generally expensive. People’s access to proper health care should not depend upon their level of income. All people have the right to access the best medicine available.To what extend do you agree or disagree with this opin (56.6667)
- The diagram below shows a process for turning dirty water into clean water.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. (72)
- Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion. (63.5294)