You are hereMost of the world's poor live in countries where tourism is a growing industry. Tourism does not benefit the poorest. How can the income generated by tourism benefit the poor? And how can we ensure that tourism does not destroy traditional cultures and wa

Most of the world's poor live in countries where tourism is a growing industry. Tourism does not benefit the poorest. How can the income generated by tourism benefit the poor? And how can we ensure that tourism does not destroy traditional cultures and wa

gillgurpreet's picture

By gillgurpreet - Posted on 11 November 2013

Most of the world's poor live in countries where tourism is a growing industry. Tourism does not benefit the poorest. How can the income generated by tourism benefit the poor? And how can we ensure that tourism does not destroy traditional cultures and way of life? What are your views?

Tourism has become one of the most profitable sectors which run well for most governments. However, there is a concern that their poor citizens do not benefit from the business of tourism, especially in an economic viewpoint. Furthermore, what some people worry about is that local cultures can be eroded due to tourisms. This essay will examine a numbers of solutions that could alleviate these side effects of tourism.

There are two good ideas for providing greater opportunities in taking part of this business to the poor. Firstly, in spite of allowing foreign firms to run business in tourism area, the government should strictly limit this number of businesses, such as hotels, shops, and restaurants. The government should open widely these business opportunities to the local communities. By limiting the number of foreign businesses, the local people could develop their businesses, such as ethnic shops, restaurants, and accommodation which in turn can raise their income too. Another vital role of the government might be by providing soft-loans for running a business by the poor. This would be a good idea as soft loans have low interest and long term payment. Unfortunately, some countries could not easily afford adequate funds to execute this solution.

In terms of preserving traditional cultures and ways of life, it would be useful to increase the pride and 'sense of belonging' of the local people. It could be done by the help of education. In Indonesia, there are a number of subjects in elementary to high school which relate to our cultures. In addition, the business doers in tourism, such as travel agencies , tourist bureau, and also tourist guide could inform foreigners to understand better and respect the native cultures.

For all of these viewpoints, the government should limit the number of foreign co operations and stimulate the poor to actively engage in the tourism businesses.

tuposwmv france

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

Economic progress is used often used to measure a country’s success. However, some people believe that other factors are more important. What other factors should also be considered when measuring a country’s success? Do you think that one factor is more lambda
Two maps below show an island, before and after the construction of some tourist facilities. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. powergirl
The information shows the ratio of dissimilar categories of families living in deprivation in Australia in 2000Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information below.• You should write at least 150 words.• You should spend about 20 minu Hera Bugis Indina
As countries have developed there has been a trend towards smaller family sizes.Why does this happen?How does this affect society? habiba
Average Marriage Age in England and Wales ridaakzar sticky icon
In your opinion, what has been the most important invention of the past 100years? vahram nowroozp...
Governments make rules to protect people from danger, for example by making people wear seat belts in cars or not allowing smoking in public buildings. However, many people believe there are too many rules nowadays.To what extend do you agree or disagree? Bustanul Arifin
Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion pip depp
The three pie charts below show the changes in annual spending by a particular UK school in 1981, 1991 and 2001.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. rizqifahma
Improvements in health, education and trade are essential for the development of poorer nations. However, the governments of richer nations should take more responsibility for helping the poorer nations in such areas. Sabee

some expert believe that it is better for children to begin learning foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school ifhaa
One of your friends is planning to visit your country and asking you for some information. Write a letter to him/her and say- When the best period to visit your country is- suggest a plan for the travel- recommend places to visit in your country marzieh
Some people think that the sense of competition in children should be encouraged. Others believe that children who are taught to co-operate rather than compete become more useful adults. Discuss dido272000
Some people think a sense of competition in children should be encouraged. Others believe that children who are taught to co-operate rather than compete become more useful adults. monday1692
Using a computer everyday can have more negative than positive effects on young children. Do you agree or disagree? give reasons and relevant examples. vkrmsalaria
Some people think that a sense of competition in children should be encouraged. Others believe that children who are taught to co-operate rather than compete become more useful adults. Vusal347
Some people think that a sense of competition in children should be encouraged. Others believe that children who are taught to co-operate rather than compete become more useful adults. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. Naela Mustika K...
Would you prefer to live in a traditional house or in a modern apartment building? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice. farizridho
Currently there is a trend towards the use of alternative forms of medicine. However, at best these methods are ineffective, and at worst they may be dangerous.To what extent do you agree with this statement? a1492dc
When choosing a job, the salary is the most important consideration. Do you agree or disagree? indah_hai

These days, in many countries fewer and fewer people want to become teachers, particularly in secondary schools. What are the reasons for this, and how could the problem be solved? uzboy sticky icon
An increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life time. Is this a positive or negative development. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Economic progress is one factor that is being considered to measure the success of a country,but there are other factors that should be considered when measuring the success of a country. Do you agree or disagree? What other factors do you think should be Justin sticky icon
Under British and Australian laws a jury in a criminal case has no access to information about the defendant's past criminal record. This protects the person who is being accused of the crime.Some lawyers have suggested that this practice should be change Shokh sticky icon
The graphs below give information about computer ownership as a percentage of the population between 2002 and 2010, and by level of education for the years 2002 and 2010. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make c xaida sticky icon
Nowadays an increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life. Is this a positive or a negative development? Justin sticky icon
The graph below gives information about international tourist arrivals in different parts of world. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting main features, and make comparisons where relevant Kal-El
The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. shi24 sticky icon
Will computers replace teachers in classrooms?As computers are being used more and more in education, there will be soon no role for teachers in the classroom. parya mirjani sticky icon
Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you. When and where you used the taxi. Describe a problem you have faced.What do you expect the manager to do? Barb.a

Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you.• When and where you used the taxi• Describe a problem you have faced• What do you expect the manager to do? swapnay sticky icon
"Prevention is better than cure."Out of country's health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventive measures. carmela6 sticky icon
Some people believe that technological tools such as body scanner and CCTV have significantly enhanced our safety and security, while others feel that they have resulted In a loss of privacy.Do the benefits of these items outweigh their disadvantages? Justin sticky icon
Do you thin business should hire employees who will spend thier entire lives working for the company? Explain why you agree or disagree. the beauty of E... sticky icon
The table below shows the consumer durables( telephone,refrigerator, etc,) owned in Britain from 1972 to 1983.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. carmela6 sticky icon
Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to learn this? Discuss both these views and give your opinion? satyakrishna23 sticky icon