You are hereMost of the world's poor live in countries where tourism is a growing industry. Tourism does not benefit the poorest. How can the income generated by tourism benefit the poor? And how can we ensure that tourism does not destroy traditional cultures and wa

Most of the world's poor live in countries where tourism is a growing industry. Tourism does not benefit the poorest. How can the income generated by tourism benefit the poor? And how can we ensure that tourism does not destroy traditional cultures and wa

gillgurpreet's picture

By gillgurpreet - Posted on 11 November 2013

Most of the world's poor live in countries where tourism is a growing industry. Tourism does not benefit the poorest. How can the income generated by tourism benefit the poor? And how can we ensure that tourism does not destroy traditional cultures and way of life? What are your views?

Tourism has become one of the most profitable sectors which run well for most governments. However, there is a concern that their poor citizens do not benefit from the business of tourism, especially in an economic viewpoint. Furthermore, what some people worry about is that local cultures can be eroded due to tourisms. This essay will examine a numbers of solutions that could alleviate these side effects of tourism.

There are two good ideas for providing greater opportunities in taking part of this business to the poor. Firstly, in spite of allowing foreign firms to run business in tourism area, the government should strictly limit this number of businesses, such as hotels, shops, and restaurants. The government should open widely these business opportunities to the local communities. By limiting the number of foreign businesses, the local people could develop their businesses, such as ethnic shops, restaurants, and accommodation which in turn can raise their income too. Another vital role of the government might be by providing soft-loans for running a business by the poor. This would be a good idea as soft loans have low interest and long term payment. Unfortunately, some countries could not easily afford adequate funds to execute this solution.

In terms of preserving traditional cultures and ways of life, it would be useful to increase the pride and 'sense of belonging' of the local people. It could be done by the help of education. In Indonesia, there are a number of subjects in elementary to high school which relate to our cultures. In addition, the business doers in tourism, such as travel agencies , tourist bureau, and also tourist guide could inform foreigners to understand better and respect the native cultures.

For all of these viewpoints, the government should limit the number of foreign co operations and stimulate the poor to actively engage in the tourism businesses.

king somewhere

User comment: I want to talk to someone in English to prepare for an exam

News editors can decide what they want to broadcast on television and what to print in newspaper. Do you agree or disagree? Hera Bugis Indina
Nowadays, many changes occur in this era, many cities less pleasant to live in recent years caused two factors. First is caused by the environment, and the second is by society itself. in the side ways, Largely information can be defect an acculturate cul Sekar Hanafi
Everybody should be allowed admission to university study programs regardless of their level of academic ability.agree or disagree?Give reasons and example. indra13
Some people believe that out happiness depends on how much money we have. Other says that “money cannot buy happiness”. Do you think that having money is the key to happiness or are there more important factors? Fadlanmuzakki
In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more and more important. This trend is seriously damaging our quality of life.To what extend do you agree or disagree? Bustanul Arifin sticky icon
Should wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations by providing such things as food and education? Or is it the responsibility of the government of poorer nations to look after their citizens themselves? nwahyuni
The chart below shows male and female fitness membership between 1970 and 2000.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.http://www.ielts-exam.net/academic_writing_samples_task_1/683/ Umb221
Is hard work the key to success or is talent also important? anita mustikasari
IELTS essay: Training is far more important than providing broad-based education. To what do you agree or disagree with this statement.? Muhammad Daniyal
Televised talent shows have become popular in many societies today. Are these shows a good method of finding talented people, or they just entertainment? rahmiedriyanti

Write complaint letter to the airline manager regarding the behavior of one of staff members on your flight. In your letter- Give full details of your flight.- Say what the problem with the staff member was.- What would you like the manager to do regardin marzieh IELTS
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5 IELTS
Some people think women should be allowed to join the army, the navy and the air force just like men. To what extent do you agree or disagree? eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh IELTS
Nowadays companies and other organisations are requiring their employees to wear a uniform. Think about jobs where uniform is important. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a uniform? Justin sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Climate change is now an accepted threat of our planet, but there is not enough political actions to control excessive consumerism and pollution.Do you agree or disagree? What measure can be taken to help the process? dnaserbakht IELTS
causes of the road accidents and solutions. Sabee IELTS
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views ridaakzar IELTS
Some people think that managerial posts in private companies and in governments are more suitable for men. Others think that given the opportunity, women can be successful managers. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion. the beauty of E... IELTS Writing Task II
When a country develops its technology, the traditional skills and ways of life die out. It is pointless to try and keep them alive. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion. Mita Puspasari IELTS

Topic: Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behavior. Other disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences.Discuss both views and give your own opinion.( Sample_answer_salmon) lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.Write about the following topic:Most developed countries spend a large proportion of their health budgets on expensive medical technology and procedures. This money should be spent instead on health education drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more and more important.This trend is seriously damaging our quality of life. eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Do the dangers derived from the use of chemicals in food production and preservation outweigh the advantages? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowladge. drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Many people believe that the main aim for university education is to help graduates to find better job, while some people believe that university education has wider benefit individual and society. discuss both views and give your opinion. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective? divyaece0903@gm... IELTS Writing Task II
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishm lrana32 IELTS Writing Task II
As a part of education, students should spend a period of time living in another country to learn its language and culture. Do you agree or disagree? Suraj IELTS Writing Task II
The graph below shows the changes in food consumption by Chinese people between 1985 and 2010.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I

Some people think secondary students should study international news as a school subject, but others suggest that it is a waste of students' valuable school time. Discuss both and give your opinion. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The two maps below show an island, before and after construction of some tourist facilities.Summarise the information by selectiong and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
General Training Task 1Your assignment was due last week. Write a letter to your teacher saying that you did not complete it on time. In your letter saywhat the subject waswhy you didn't complete itwhen will you complete it. Buweni sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some suggest that young people should take a job for a few years between school and university.Discuss what the advantages and disadvantages might be for people who do this.Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowl HoneyUK sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Some people think that professional athletes make good role models for young people, while others believe they don’t.Discuss both these points of views and give your own opinion.Write at least 250 words. eddysuaib sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II