You are hereSome experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?To whom it may concern,I will take an Ielts test about 5days from

Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?To whom it may concern,I will take an Ielts test about 5days from

hamidrezat's picture

By hamidrezat - Posted on 19 May 2013

Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

To whom it may concern,

I will take an Ielts test about 5days from now so I would be thankful in advance for your corrections and best advice if it could help me.

It goes without saying that learning another language besides native language would be extremely beneficial. Some people are in favor of teaching a new language to children when they are in childhood period. Although it has both pros and cons, on my reckoning, the advantages of teaching children a foreign language at primary school outweigh it's drawbacks.

On the one hand, research indicates some children who started learning a foreign language in either kinder-garden or thereafter have some problems to continue learning. For example, my uncle studied Germany when he was 8 years old but he then gave up not only learning that language, but also other useful skills. Since it was really hard to manage all of them for a 8 year-old kid. In addition, it may get children bored because they should stay with it for a long time.

On the other hand, having considered the method of learning a foreign language at primary school, you can deduce that it brings a lot of merits. First of all, children at primary school have more potential to learn new skill; in another words, their mind are not as busy as young people's mind so they can learn faster than a child at secondary school. Secondly, they can experience different ways in order to find the best way which easily improve their skills. That is, they have got more time to become familiar with that language.

In conclusion, it is necessary for children in today's world to learn a foreign language. Albeit it has some disadvantages, in my opinion, if they begin it at approximately primary school, they can reduce these side effects.