Some people say that tourism has many negative effects on the countries that people travel do. How true is this statement? What can tourists do to reduce the harmful effects of tourism on local cultures and environments?Give reasons for your answer and in

Essay topics: Some people say that tourism has many negative effects on the countries that people travel do.
How true is this statement? What can tourists do to reduce the harmful effects of tourism on local cultures and environments?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience. (Study Sample)

eddysuaib's picture

Over ten years, some countries rely on tourism, as it is their main industry. These countries receive large numbers of tourists and have to provide many facilities for them. In Indonesia, this brings money into the economy and creates jobs, but it can also cause problems. This essay would examine how these two points affect sustainable tourism development.

In my opinion, one of the worst effects of tourism is the presence of large crowds of people in streets and areas of beauty. When this happens, local people can find it difficult to do things they want to do. Also, the appearance of their home city or village can change so much that they feel they have lost their identity. Result shows that creating sculptures as a must-have job for respecting dedication to descendant is not common for young Balinese. They prefer to take side job as taxi driver in Bali, where taxi, nowadays, causes severe traffic congestion, for example.

Another disadvantage of tourism is that tourists do not usually worry about environmental issues. If their children drop litter, they may not do anything about it, or if trees have been cut down to build hotels and airports, this does not matter to them. However, let’s see how land conversion happens in Tuban-Kuta and Jimbaran area, where a large marshland area for Denpasar airport has demolished local inhabitants’ houses. These raise problems for people who live in the territory all the time.

Generally, I think there are positive things that tourists can do. Firstly, they can think about where they go on holiday and avoid places that are already overcrowded. Secondly, they should read something about their holiday destination before they leave. This will help them understand the people and culture better. Lastly, they should try to look after the area they stay in and observe the rules there.

Overall, I believe tourism has many benefits for everyone. However, it is important that people still think about protecting tourist locations and reducing the undesirable impacts tourist behaviour.