Governments should not have to provide care or financial support for elderly people because it is the responsibility of each person to prepare for retirement and support him or herself. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
People have different views about whether or not governments should help senior citizens. Although I accept that we all have a responsibility to save money for retirement, I disagree with the idea that elderly people should receive no support from the state.
There are several reasons why I believe that older people should get government support. Firstly, the job market is increasingly becoming competitive, and sometimes there are hundreds of applicants for one position in a company. This indicates that those elders who need employment to support their own living expenses will have to compete with young people. These young adults are usually well-prepared for the post with relevant academic qualifications. Thus, these older people will have less job opportunities and it will be difficult for them to be recruited among these young applicants. Secondly, the rising cost of living has put pressure on the old age group to live through. The savings may not be adequate for them to pay for housing and food. Finally, the elderly people are fragile and they lack physical capabilities to work, and hence it could be dangerous especially when they are required to do some labour work, like in restaurants.
Furthermore, some older people may need help in terms of their basic living like cooking, cleaning and shopping. Many senior citizens are left out of care from their offspring due to this modern society in which many workers are often pushed to be committed to their careers. Also, it is one of the roles of government to take care of those who are old and physically vulnerable. When they were young and healthy, they dedicated themselves to developing the societies and paid a lot of taxes. Hence, it is now time for the state to look after them. At the same time, these days, many of old people suffer from a number of diseases, like dementia, and the cost of treatment is often tremendous that they could not afford. Thus, these elderly patients need a special care from the support of nation.
For the reasons mentioned above, I believe that the governments should protect their own citizens, especially the old group of people.
- The table below shows the average band scores for students from different language groups taking the IELTS General Test in 2010 90
- Some people say that competition is good for children’s development while others believe it is bad. Discuss both views and give your opinion. 70
- Recent figures show an increase in violent crime among youngsters under the age of 18. Some psychologists claim that the basic reason for this is that children these days are not getting the social and emotional learning they need from parents and teacher 70
- Some people believe that exploring outer space is important. Other people believe that space exploration is a waste of money.Choose which position you most agree with and discuss why you chose that position. Support your point of view with details form yo 83
- Government spending should only be focused on public services, and it is a waste of money to spend on arts(eg. painting or music)to what extent do you agree or disagree? 77
to save money for retirement,
to save money for the retirement,
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 7.0 out of 9
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 18 15
No. of Words: 360 350
No. of Characters: 1745 1500
No. of Different Words: 191 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.356 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.847 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.563 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 117 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 87 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 57 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 36 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 20 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 6.394 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.5 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.3 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.463 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.09 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 5