TPO29 #1

TPO29 #1

The reading passage provides three arguments to support the claim that the Edmontosaurus migrate to the south in wintertime. However, the professor believes that all these hypotheses are not convincing.

To begin with, the article implies that the edmontosaurus migrate to the south so they can find plants. On the other hand, the professor states that there was no need for the edmontosaurus to migrate to find food. He explains that long time ago the climate was warmer and the sun shines 24 hours a day. This climate created a good condition to grow plenty of plants. Also, he mentions that even in winter when the plant died, the edmontosaurus can survive by feeding on the nutritious of the dead plant.

Secondly, the author contends that the edmontosaurus had been living in herds which support the migration hypothesis. The professor, in contrast, says that this does not support that they migrated during winter since there are other reasons that make animals live in herds like getting extra protection from their predators. The lecturer gives an example of a specific kind of elks that live in the western United states that are plant-eater. He states that these elks do not migrate but usually live in herds.

Finally, the reading posits that the edmontosaurus can travel for long distances and they are very fast animals which help them to migrate quickly. The professor opposes this point by explaining that the juvenile adults are not physically capable of migrating long distances. He explains that because they were living in herds, the edmontosaurus could not leave the juvenile as they cannot survive alone. As a result, the whole herds have to live and move altogether.