The following appeared as part of an article in the business section of a local newspaper Motorcycle X has been manufactured in the United States for over 70 years Although one foreign company has copied the motorcycle and is selling it for less the compa

The following appeared as part of an article in the business section of a local newspaper.

"Motorcycle X has been manufactured in the United States for over 70 years. Although one foreign company has copied the motorcycle and is selling it for less, the company has failed to attract motorcycle X customers—some say because its product lacks the exceptionally loud noise made by motorcycle X. But there must be some other explanation. After all, foreign cars tend to be quieter than similar American-made cars, but they sell at least as well. Also, television advertisements for motorcycle X highlight its durability and sleek lines, not its noisiness, and the ads typically have voice-overs or rock music rather than engine-roar on the sound track."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument.

the author states that regular sales of Motorcycle X for the past 7 decades and low sales of a cheaper compatitor cannot be linked to something as simple as customers' buying preference for "noisy" motorcycles. this claim, however, is not sufficiently supported by robust examples or direct survey reports. in absence of such justifications, it is important to gather more data before jumping to conclusion as the argument, otherwise, retains some flaws.

firstly, the author has chosen to use the phrase "must be some other reason" - this implies that the author is certain that the stated reason - lack of exceptionally loud noise - is not a contributing factor to the product Motorcycle X. This hints of bias or limited understanding. while, surely the competitor motorcycle can face low sales despite its lower price, it is important to evaluate what buying rationale dominate the Motorcycle X sales and its segment. in absence of this data, it is unwise to conclude. a better option would be to say "may be some other reason".

second, cars are a different segment than motorcycles and may not represent the same set of preferences as those that drive motorcycle sales. Also, it is obvious to check whether car buyers have a significant overlap with motorcycle buyers, i.e. a set of preferences in car qualities may carry over to motorcycle quality.

thirdly, television advertisements may have their mandate to appear more "responsible" and not advertise the "noisiness" of their product. alternatively, it is important to verify whether they have recently revised their product marketing material. it is possible that the marketing material is being carried forward from several decades ago, when "noisiness" wasnt necessarily a positive quality and could even represent lack of refinement in the engine. therefore, the advertisement of "noisiness" may have been ommitted.

Without proper data of buying preferences, it is impossible to conclude whether car sales trends or advertisement material can indicate the sales preferences for motorcycles. several other possible explanations also exist, such as - better after sales service coverage, longer warranty duration, being commonly associated with influential celebrities or personalities.

In conclusion, while the author's argument seems to hold some promise on the surface, a lot many variables need to be evaluated before a conclusion can be drawn. in effect, the author's reasoning stands lacking of sufficiently justifiable data.