The following appeared as part of a mayor's proposal to the city council:Traffic in the central city is the number one complaint of our residents, so I urge you to consider this solution. We should invest in doubling our bus service and adding a light rai

The following appeared as part of a mayor's proposal to the city council:

Traffic in the central city is the number one complaint of our residents, so I urge you to consider this solution. We should invest in doubling our bus service and adding a light rail system, giving more options to those who don't want to drive through the city. Furthermore, we should make public transportation more accessible by reducing the fees to ride. With less traffic, people will be more productive, and with higher productivity comes higher revenue and more taxes, so the system will likely pay for itself.

Discuss how well reasoned.

The mayor in his proposal to the city council avers that traffic is the major complaint of the city residents. So, to combat this problem he proposes solutions such as doubling the bus service ,adding light rail system and making public transportation more accessible by reducing its fees to ride. The argument at first glance appears to be fairly convincing and coherent. However, upon closer examination, the argument lies on several questionable assumptions and premises rendering the argument wholly unpersuasive.

The primary pitfall of the argument is that, the mayor assumes that the traffic in the central city is mainly caused due to the large influx of people who drive through the city. To combat this problem he proposes to extend the bus service system and light rail system. But he forgets that traffic can also be caused due to narrow roads or illegal occupation of the roadsides making the movement of traffic very slow.So even if new types of public transports are introduced, its highly unlikely that the problem will be solved.To the contrary it would add more to the traffic woes as larger vehicles take more space and time to travel the distances.

Furthermore, the mayor fails to account for the road accident rate and disregard for traffic rules.If the people driving through the city do not follow the traffic rules, then there is very high chance of traffic jams and accidents taking place.Even improvement in the public transportation system or the extension of the public transportation services wont help in addressing the problem.In this case holds true, the mayor needs to improve the traffic regulatory systems and increase awareness of traffic rules among the people of the city.

Thirdly, the mayor mentions public transportation system should me made more accessible by reducing the fees for transportation.Now, to address this concern, a more in depth analysis will be required from the mayor's end. Just by reducing the fees wont solve the problem.Traffic in the city happens mostly during the morning and evening hours when the people travel to and from their workplaces.So a thorough analysis of the timings and routes when traffic jam occurs frequently should be studied and taken into account for. Accordingly, the public transportation services should be modified to account for the high influx of people to the city.

In a nutshell, the solutions provided by the mayor to the city council is unacceptable and not compelling enough. To convince the city council people, he should take measures to address the fallacies of the argument cited in the paragraphs above.