In a recent citywide poll fifteen percent more residents said that they watch television programs about the visual arts than was the case in a poll conducted five years ago During these past five years the number of people visiting our city s art museums

In a recent citywide poll, fifteen percent more residents said that they watch television programs about the visual arts than was the case in a poll
conducted five years ago. During these past five years, the number of people visiting our city’s art museums has increased by a similar percentage. Since the corporate funding that supports public television, where most of the visual arts programs appear, is now being threatened with severe cuts, we can expect that attendance at our city’s art museums will also start to decrease. Thus some of the city’s funds for supporting the arts should be reallocated to public television.

The argument claims that by reallocating some of city's funds supporting art museums to public television, expected fall in number of people watching visual arts and in turn, visiting art museums can be prevented. The conclusion of the argument is based on the premise that there was a similar percentage increase in number of people watching visual arts and visiting city's art museums in last five years. The conclusion of the argument relies on unwarranted assumptions for which there is no clear evidence. Hence, the argument is unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument readily assumes that the number of people who watch visual arts on television of the city is similar to the number of people who enjoy visiting art museums. However, author cites no evidence to provide population information. For example, it might be the case that corresponding population different in terms of number, therefore, questioning whether similar percentage increase is exactly equal in numbers.

Second, the argument could have been much clearer if author had included the information that people who watch visual arts are the same who visit art museums. If this key factor had been included in the argument it could have formed the base of the argument and it would have made much more sense. In-fact, it is not at all clear if these masses have similar interests. For example, it is quite reasonable to assume that these two groups of people are completely different from each other and there is no direct correlation.

Finally, the argument claims without warrant that what held true for last 5 years will hold true in the future. So, even if we assume that these groups are similar in number and likes and there is positive correlation between them, the argument is still lacking because it does not provide information to show that general entertainment interests will not change.

Because the argument makes several unwarranted assumptions, it fails to make convincing case that reallocating funds to public television will mirror the same attendance in arts museums.