The market for the luxury-goods industry is on the decline. Recent reports show that a higher unemployment rate, coupled with consumer fears, has decreased the amount of money the average household spends on both essential and nonessential items, but espe

The market for the luxury-goods industry is on the decline. Recent reports show that a higher unemployment rate, coupled with consumer fears, has decreased the amount of money the average household spends on both essential and nonessential items, but especially on nonessential items. Since luxury goods are, by nature, nonessential, this market will be the first to decrease in the present economic climate, and luxury retailers should refocus their attention to lower-priced markets.

The author of the passage contends that the luxury retailers should refocus their attention to lower-priced markets. The author's conclusion is based on the premise that the recent reports show decline in the average household expenditure, in particular on non-essentials owing to the higher unemployement rate and consumer fears. However, the argument has several flaws in it which are to be addressed in order to make the contention sound and convincing.

Fristly, the author's based on a recent survey. However, there are no details mentioned regarding the survey indicating its sample space and diversity. Reporting precisely teh details regarding where is the survey conducted and what are different backgrounds of people who have been surveyed and so on would properly substantiate the author's proposal.

Moreover, it could also be a possibility that the surveyed people might not have reported faithful information about their household expenditures. If teh author presents the bills of the household expenditures, it would augment his contention.

Further the author focusses only on the luxury items while teh survey apparantly makes no exclusive mention of it. If there are any results of survey of luxury items, mentioning it would strengthen the author's argument.

From the above stated reasons, it is clear that the argument is not completely sound. The evidence in support of the conclusion that luxury retailers need to focus on lower-priced markets, does little to prove the conclusion, since it does not address the assumptions. Ultimately, the argument might have been strengthened if the author could have shown the specific details of the survey indicating the backgrounds of the surveyed people along with the collection of paper work like bills and so on. The argument would be further strengthened if teh author presents the survey in specific to luxury items than the generalized category, the non-essentials.