The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government industry or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation not competition Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree wi

Competition can help push humans beyond their limits in order to achieve groundbreaking success. However, it can only be done when everyone on the team is aligned towards this and willing to put in their best effort. A team is only as strong as its weakest link and a good leader can help convert that weakness into a strength. I strongly agree with the author that instilling a sense of cooperation over competition can help us mold a better generation of young leaders.

One may argue that it is the leader's responsibility to take the team to victory by fighting against all the odds, and in doing so, the leader will have more benefit if he has had a good amount of experience in dealing with competition. However, this is not entirely agreeable. In the case of team sports like cricket, if the team captain's primary goal is of competition rather than co-ordination, he might end up taking wrong decisions at crucial moments. He might end up using the team's best fast bowler to bowl the next over while neglecting the fact that the bowler is pretty exhausted at the moment and can be utilized better after resting for a couple of overs. A good captain has to understand the strengths and weaknesses of his entire team and plan when to use them for the desired outcome. This empathy can only be expected, if the leader is inclined towards coordination more than competition.

If a leader can instill a sense of empathy and cooperation in the team and can align and invigorate them in striving towards a common goal, the journey becomes easier for everyone and the chances of reaching success become higher. If the leader is focussed primarily on competing with the opponents, he will pass on those vibes to his subordinates and it can so happen, that the subordinates start competing internally for personal gains, rather than focussing on the larger picture.

We must also understand that the leader will only choose a certain path and guide the team on that path. The actual journey has to be travelled by the entire team, and it will be in the best interest of everyone, if the team focussed on coordinating with each other, covering all the bases and ensuring that each necessary milestone is covered with the best foot forward. In the case of any company, it is the CEO's responsibility to choose the direction of the company - what should be the next product/service, how should they launch it in the market and so on. However, the team will work on these directions.

Essays by the user: