The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and su

The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

The statement is suggesting the best way to educate a person is to praise positive actions of a person and ignore negative actions. Surely, positive comments on good actions can encourage and facilitate learning, and the power of positive comments can be easily demonstrated in schools, college, and various educational places. Most people, upon praising, more interested in a subject and eager to learn. However, the statement only tries to look at the positive sides of praising and negatives sides of criticizing. The statement is almost implying that the praising is good and criticizing is bad. It is going too far to say that the best way to teach is to compliment on positive actions and disregard negative ones.

Each individual has different preference of teaching style. While some like to get only compliment from teachers, other students want to get genuine criticisms from teachers. Teachers’ criticisms might sound harsh, but those students think that they can learn from the criticisms and fix what they have done wrong. For example, the numerous red marks on an assignment assay might be daunting to a student. However, the teacher’s genuine comments and suggestions on the essay definitely have some positive effects and help improve the student’s writing skills, and such a way of teaching is a very common method of teaching how to write. It might be true that some students take the red marks offensively, but many understand the purpose of the criticisms, accept the comments, and use the comments to improve their skill.

Building upon the above writing example, had the teacher only complimented on the good aspects of the essay, is it really the best way to teach? Students cannot really learn anything from just the compliments. While the complements feel good, students cannot improve on their writing skill. If students cannot learn and improve, it is absurd to say that the teaching method is the best. Furthermore, students might be misguided and think that their work is perfect and does not struggle further to improve on their skill and learning, which defeats the purpose of praising.

However, the negative effects of criticisms still be a greater concern for few, but such concern is very parochial. For children, negative assessments might be too hard to take, but it is not the same for rational adults or even for some high school students. As people live, they slowly learn how to take and learn from criticisms. Education is not limited to young children, whose social skill and rationality is not fully developed. If a person knows how to learn from a criticism, pointing out flaws might be the best way to teach the person, because the person know the true purpose of the criticism and knows what to learn from it. Furthermore, because of the good aspects of the criticism, it might be good to teach the children how to accept a negative comment slowly from early ages.

If one can teach everything from just a positive commenting, only praising the good aspects of students work might be the best way and should be the way of teaching. However, there are some aspects of teaching that can be never achieved by just complementing. Hence, teachers sometimes have to point out flaws in students work even if it is unpleasant to students or teachers. Therefore, only giving positive comments can never be the best form of teaching, and the appropriate mix of negative and positive assessments might be the best way to teach, if there is the best way of teaching.