We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than those whose views contradict our own.Reason: Disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning.

We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than those whose views contradict our own.

Reason: Disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning.

In science, there is a term called as ‘falsification’. Falsification is a process to prove whether a hypothesis or theory is right or wrong. If the hypothesis or theory cannot be falsified, then it is a truth. It challenges the tendency of academic researches that confirming again and again the same hypothesis, which has no meaning. The term suggests that in order to progress and make advancement, we need views contradict us instead of confirming us. Even though the process of debating may cause stress, contradicting views are necessary.

In the history of mankind, there are so many hypothesis or theories have been proved wrong. People believed that the Earth has a flat surface in the past. When Pythagoras raised the view that the Earth is in the ball shape, people disagreed with him. However, as this view was taken, now we have understood the true sharp of the Earth. Or for example, if Martin Luk Kings agreed with the views of most American in the 20th Century that ‘coloured’ people are inferior to white people, he would not raise the revolution and fight for the racial equality. And today’s world has no progress in liberty. These instances indicated the importance of taking others view point even though they are contradicting to ours.

The statement avers the reason that learning from people with contradicting views is because of stress. It makes an assumption that contradiction must lead to a stressful debate. However, if two individuals are working on a task with the same goal to conduce, they can still be respectful to each other and make progression.

Every person has their own opinion on any issues, and mostly there is no absolute right and wrong. To capitulate, I believe that we can learn more from contradiction views, as we can see more from panoramic perspectives. Even though there might be stress induced, we should stay respectful and remember we are all in the process of learning, be calm and humble.