Today high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of society in which they are sold To what extent do you agree or disagree

Many people believe that the reason for the tremendous revenue of consumer items is the power of advertising no to real needs. I totally disagree with this view and I will discuss two main reasons in following paragraphs.

Firstly, customers are getting smarter so they can not be influenced by advertising. Specifically, they only decide to buy daily product when they have real demands or after they read review and feedback of the product on groups or in forum in Internet. For example, a study shows that 70% of customers in a local supermarket joined more than one online group such as tinhte.com, voz.forum or webtretho.comv to read reviews, feedback or ask other members about the item before they decide to buy it. Another example is Shark Hung, who have supermarket chains in Vietnam, invested 1 billion VND in 2018 for advertising campaign but online reviews is adverse so the sales were still unchanged. It is clear that, companies should invested for product's quality rather than advertising.

A multitude of people still believe advertising is manipulating consumers, they state that many teenagers buy items because they only want to advocate their celebrities. However, I believe this to be a very shortsighted view because before young people buy some goods, they will ponder their benefit. For example, 60% of Taylor Swift’s fans say that they not only buy her products because they admire her but also the items is definitely well-designed and sophisticated. It is obvious that the sales of items rely on their quality

In conclusion, I do not believe that the high income of consumer goods are thanks o the power of advertising. Not only because consumers become wise but also they study the good's benefit carefully before buy it