The charts below show the average percentages in typical meals of three types of nutrients all of which may be unhealthy if eaten too much

The charts below show the average percentages in typical meals of three types of nutrients, all of which may be unhealthy if eaten too much.

The provide charts compare the average intake of three nutrients in four main meals, the overconsumption of which can be detrimental to health.

Overall, sodium and saturated fat are rich in foods eaten in dinner while added sugar is mostly taken in from snack. In addition, breakfast is least nutrient-dense, which is revealed by the smallest pie on all charts.

Regarding sodium and saturated fat, both nutrients are mostly provided in evening meals, at 43% and 37% respectively, while the percentages of them in lunch consistently ranks second, with 29% and 26%. A contrast is an equal proportion of sodium is contained in snacks and breakfast, accounting for 14% each, whereas the former meal is richer in saturated fat than the latter one, with 21% and 16% respectively.

In terms of added sugar, more than 40% of this nutrient is from snacks, which nearly doubles the figure for dinner, at 23%. The added sugar value in lunch is significantly lower, with 19%, while like other nutrients, breakfast is not dense in added sugar, contributing only 16%.