The diagram shows the design of a modern landfill for household waste Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant

The diagram shows the design of a modern landfill for household waste. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant

The illustration depicts a layout of a modern landfill in which household waste is discharged.

Overall, the system creates a landfill that helps household garbage decay while not releasing any liquid or gases into the outside environment

Initially, an artificial hole is created and it takes the shape of an upside-down rectangular frustum embedded in natural rock. After that, the hole is covered by two layers – the outer being a synthetic material and the inner being clay. At the bottom of the hole, a drainage tank is built to store leachate. To support the tank, multiple drainage pipes lay parallel to each other, all connecting to a longitudinal pipe that runs through the tank and connects to the outside

After finishing the basic construction, the hole is put into function. In detail, it is filled up with domestic waste which gradually decays and releases waste’s liquid into the tank. The process is environmentally safe as the leachate can not contaminate the environment due to the two implemented layers of protection. As the landfill is full, clay is used to seal the pit, leaving a cavity and there is a tube running along the longitudinal drainage pipe leads the gases to the outside