Some people think it is more important to spend money on roads and motorways than on public transport systems To what extent do you agree

Some people think it is more important to spend money on roads and motorways than on public transport systems. To what extent do you agree?

These days, despite the advocates of several people about allocating more funds on construction of roads and motorways, I suppose that developing public transport systems is also an extremely valuable investment.
On the one hand, I understand some reasons why spending on road networks gains the support of a certain number of people. The first obvious reason is the improvement in highway quality has contributed to a considerable decline in road fatalities and injuries.  This is because when authorities pay more attention to ensuring unobstructed roads, holes and obstacles, for instance, menacing to security of participants' traffic are rejected. Secondly, expanding roads and building more motorways are deemed as an initiative to curb traffic jams. For example, in many large-scale cities in Vietnam, having widened and promoted roads, people can enjoy maximum travel time in free-flowing traffic. 
On the other hand, I believe that government and residents can confer tremendous benefits from focusing on public transport system. First and foremost, efficient public transport networks are a contributor to a cleaner environment. By removing cars from streets, public transit plays a pivotal role in the abatement of carbon emissions. Not only does this reduce air pollution, but it also mitigates the effects of climate change as a whole. Moreover, compared to vehicles, high-capacity public transit modes can accommodate a larger number of passengers at a time. This not only supports people with affordable travel prices but also helps minimize traffic congestion. To exemplify, according to recent estimates, around 7 million train tickets are purchased in Japan every day, removing hundreds of cars from the highways.
In conclusion, while I believe that allocating money on roads and highways is essential, I am still of the opinion that public transport should also be invested spontaneously because of the above–mentioned reasons.