School should require young children (7-11) to work as group or alone?

In my opinion, school requiring young children to work in groups is better than assigning them to work alone. Even though some people may disagree, the following are reasons why I think young children should have group works rather than individual works.

First, working in groups fosters children's social skills since they are still young. We all seem to need social skills through out our life, especially at work. So it is better if we teach young children to learn social skills since there are in young age. For example, by assigning them to work in a group such as doing a science experiment in a limit amount of time, children can learn how to manage and distribute their responsibilities to members in the group in order to finish the assignment on time. This also teaches them how to talk and how to interact with other people that will help young children to grow their communication skills. In contrast, young children that always work alone will be limited the chance to improve these social skills.

Second, working in groups also enhances young children knowledge and creativity. Even though working alone allows young children to create their own ideas, working in groups expands young children experiences and knowledge more. For example, when I was in an elementary school, I was very good in math and science subjects. However, talking about arts such as drawings or paintings, I was the worse in the class. By sitting in a small group with other students, I could see how they did their drawing and how they used different colors for different objects on their drawing papers. This helped me to learn and pick their talents. Then I put them into my works and added my own imagination that helped me drawing better in later times. Likewise, my friends also had opportunity to learn and improved their simple match and science from me by studying and working in a group.

Finally, working in groups helps young children to make more friends. As my previous example, when my friends and I were exchanging our talents indirectly, and when we worked in groups more often, we then become good friends because we spent more time working, studying and playing together. Moreover, I still keep in tough with some of them until these days.

In summary, assigning young children to work alone may have some advantages, allowing them to work in groups building their social skills that they will need in adulthood, giving them chances to explore new knowledge and skills, and developing the relationship with their peers.

No. of Words: 430 while No. of Different Words: 202