Burning coal in power plants produces a waste product called coal ash a material that contains small amounts of potentially harmful chemicals

The representatives of power companies insist that there are three reasons, while the speaker refutes the author’s opinions.

To begin, the author declares that there are regulations in place, such as using liner—special material to prevent contamination. however, the speaker claims that the current regulations only apply to new ponds and landfills and don’t have any effect on existing ponds that have caused significant damage. For example, the harmful chemicals from coal ash leaked into groundwater and contaminated drinking water. therefore, it is particularly important and imperative to adopt new regulations that are able to prevent pollution.

Second, the author mentions that adopting stricter rules may discourage people from buying products made of recycled coal ash because they will think the coal ash is dangerous. In contrast, the speaker explains that based on experience, people tend to buy these goods even if they know that they are hazardous. For example, mercury has been subject to very strict rules for handling and storage for a long time, but consumers had few concerns about it. So the consumer will continue to use recycled coal ash products even if strict regulations are adopted.

Third, the author reveals that strict new regulations will significantly increase the cost, and therefore the price of electricity has to be increased. however, the speaker claims that the companies can make up the cost by increasing the price by only about 1 percent. The consumers are definitely willing to pay extra money for clean electricity to have a better environment.