Integrated TOEFL Writing TPO18

Integrated TOEFL Writing: TPO18

TOP 18. Integrated writing

In the reading, the author contends that in 1950s, a type of evergreen tree, called Torreya taxifoha, started to ruin without any specific reason. This trend leaded to extinct this kind of tree. So scientists suggested three strategies including reestablishing Torreya taxifoha in the same location, moving them to a different region, and preserving trees in research laboratories; however, in the lecture the professor casts doubt on these three suggested solutions by presenting some descriptions for each one.
Firstly, the writer asserts that reestablishing Torreya taxifoha would be a great strategy for preserving this kind of tree. Cultivating this species need wetter and cooler climate, so reestablishing in the same area would be useful; however, climate change phenomena is a mainly reason for global warming, and all over the Florida region is facing drought. Therefore, carrying trees to another part of Florida would not be efficient as all these parts have the same climate.
Furthermore, contrary to the idea in the reading that for preventing the tree extinction, it would be efficient to move Torreya taxifoha far from its Florida microclimate where the weather is significantly cooler, the lecturer states that moving a strange king of tree to a new environment could threat other species. For supporting this idea, he mentions a kind of tree which has been moved to a natural area and ruined many unique and valuable trees. Therefore, entering a new species could be dangerous for whole a natural habitat.
Finally, even though the lecturer mentions that research centers are useful places for preserving Torreya taxifoha, and seeds and saplings can be moved from the forest and preserved under the supervision of experts, the professor states that this strategy is probably not a good solution. That is because research centers have limited capacities and the population of Torreya taxifoha that can be kept in laboratories will not as large as that of forests. Consequently, this limited number of tree will not be able to resist against the tree's disease.