TPO 01 Integrated Writing

TPO 01 Integrated Writing

The reading and the lecture are both about a mandatory policy requiring companies to provide their employees to work for four days a week. The article states that offering the option to work four days a week is not only beneficial for the individual companies, but also for the economy as a whole and also for the employees. The author presents three reasons to support his position. however, the lecturer, by explaining that providing employees with the option of working four days a week is not beneficial to companies, nor to the economy or the employees, refutes each of the author's reasons.

Firstly, the reading claims that the shortened workweek would increase company profits. this argument is challenged by the professor. he contends that in order to replace the employees opting for the four-day work week, the company will have to hire new employees. this means that they will have to spend money on the training as well as the medical benefits of the new employees. also, costs such as medical costs don't go down if the employees opt for a four-day work week or not. Additionally, he points out that these costs will start to eat into the company's profits.

Furthermore, the reading posits that offering this option would be beneficial for the economy as a whole as it will reduce the unemployment rate. The lecturer, however, refutes this argument by asserting that companies might ask employees to start working overtime to compensate for the work left. On the other hand, the company might not hire any new employees and ask the existing ones to work harder and longer in order to meet the goals. this in turn might lead to raised expectations and unpleasant job experiences.

Finally, the author of the article puts forth the idea that this option would be better for the individual employees as well. The professor opposes this point by explaining that it might be true that employees will have more leisure time but it will come at the cost of job stability. In case of an economic downturn, companies might consider firing employees who work only for four days a week. he goes on to say that when it is the time to consider one for promotion, companies might prefer employees who work for five days a week. As a result, this might lead to lower job satisfaction.