TPO 41 integrated writing

The article and the lecture are both about whether new regulations for handling and storing coal ash should be made. While the writer focuses on why these regulations are unnecessary, the speaker asserts that they are crucial in order to reduce future damage and protect the environment.

First, according to the article, the current regulations are effective enough to reduce the damage coal ash may be doing to the environment. The lecturer, however, argues that those regulations are lacking in some degrees. For example, the use of liner-special material is required for the dispose of coal ash. Nevertheless, this regulation is only applied to new pond or landfill built by power companies while the old ponds are significantly cause harm to the water in the soil.

Second, the professor mentions that imposing strict rules for storing and handling coal ash will not necessarily raise customers' concern about recycle coal ash being dangerous. For instance, although environmental regulations for handling mercury have been very strict, products made from recycled mercury are still purchased as usual with few concerns from customers. Therefore, stricter rules on coal ash will probably affect little to its sales as building materials while serving its functions of protecting the environment.

Third, it is true the cost for handling and disposing coal ash will increase significantly if the proposed regulations are approved, yet the positive results they bring to the environment will be worth it. Also, although the cost for taking new actions towards processing coal ash is estimated to be around 15 billion dollars, it is not a big number as perceived by power companies if they try doing the math. When divided to the total number of users, the price of electricity will only increase by 1% per household, making it reasonable.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.