The introduction to Culture and IdentityPreview the document implies that culture creates tensions and conflicts within and among us We have discussed how those tensions and conflicts become normalized as cultural practices and how those cultural practice

The introduction to Culture and IdentityPreview the document implies that culture creates tensions and conflicts within and among us. We have discussed how those tensions and conflicts become normalized as cultural practices, and how those cultural practices become part of our identities. In the three stories we have read for this section--Going to Meet the Man, White Trash Primer, and The Bridegroom--I would like you to explore how cultural practices that are presented as normal are, on further analysis, worth examining as strange, or even grotesque or monstrous. Use as many of the texts as you like to expand on this topic, but remember that the goal is to look at examples of culture as the environment the promotes and justifies actions/attitudes that shape controversial elements of identity in individuals and community.

The culture was created a long time ago by people's ancestors. It passed down from generation to generation. Such as family members learned their parents' lifestyles or life concepts are passed down from parents to children and then to grandchildren when they live together. In other words, culture is continued by kinship. Each small group of people, who have the origin at the same place or area with common backgrounds or language, have their own cultures. Most people action depends on their culture, which their parents taught and orient them to follow. Hence, after a long time, they follow these requests. Their brains accept these customs and make them become instincts or habits that are quite firm and hard to change. People prove their belief in culture every day by daily activities, meals, attitudes, and how they face social problems. When the world starts to develop, and people have more chance to learn about new things. To bring their cultures to as much as people they can, they use food, music, costumes, arts, or movie to show their cultures to the world with the hope that the world will accept and understand their culture. Suppose culture unifying some people and bring them closer. It can also be a tool that encourages tribalism and racism at extreme levels since it is tough for them to accept any other cultures or beliefs, which is the opposite of their belief. While everyone wants others to respect their cultural identity, some people are in fierce opposition to other ethnic groups' cultures. These contradictions are always a concern and became the focus of discussions today.
In the first place, people can change their minds and become more open after seeing the flip side of their culture. Then, they can accept other cultures easier. In the brief personal memoir, "White Trash Primer," Lacy M. Johnson tells the story of a girl's life from childhood to adulthood. Johnson begins by talking about the childhood of a girl whose life seemed to be a normal child growing up in the countryside. This girl grew up in a family where her family is constantly working hard on a farm to make a living. As time passed, life's circumstances changed. The child begins to mature, and the family is forced to move due to financial problems. After moving, the family went from owning a farm and selling corn and soybeans to a family forced to work at Wal-Mart. "You try really hard to get good grades in college cause you know exactly how much it costs, but you work forty hours a week at Wal-Mart, and sometimes you're so damn tired." This explains how much stress she has to face money problems, but she always tries to show that she is fine. Include her friend and the boyfriend have sex in the bed right next to her, and he raped you. The bad is not to stop there. Her mother's sister notified her that her mother has cancer. "Your hand sweat and your knees tremble together," "your sisters in your mama's hospital room holding hands around her bed while your daddy asks the good Lord for STRENGTH. You don't even breathe until she's waking up from surgery." Her world was fallen when she knew that and must-see her mother getting weaker every day. She decided to drop out of school to save money and help her father find the money. However, she does not allow herself to appear poor or difficult. After all, everything becomes better, and she can come back to school "take classes with black folks and brown folks and yellow folks and make friends with who you like." and her parents also feel proud of her. Hence, she is willing to contact people of color, more open with different kinds of people and culture, and cherish what she gets after the hardships.
In the second place, humans' attitudes toward cultural exchanges and learning the lifestyle between regions and peoples from the past to present are different, depending on their culture and live environment. There is no chance to share or exchange between cultures in the past. According to Culture & ID intro, the only thing people are concerned about is "behavioral rules, traditions, skills, mores, religion, and art that define the civilization." After a long time living in these rules, these habits become their instinct, and their brain starts to build thoughts and logic that match that instinct. They do not know that somewhere out there are others with different cultures until social development becomes more developed. When people's knowledge also increases, they are more interested in new knowledge to explore the world where they have various lifestyles and beliefs. Some people can accept and create new habits easily after contacting new cultures after screening and weighing its benefits. Even if they cannot accept, they also do not show aversion or disrespect to other cultures. These people are usually more open-minded and tolerant. They study and accept other cultures to maintain and develop their culture. For example, the author of the book "Culture & ID intro" wrote that in China, "there are numerous well-defined cultures: the Uighurs of the northwest, the coastal Chinese of Shanghai, the Tibetan mountain people, the Szechuanese of the southwest. They eat different foods; they practice different religions; they speak different dialects." On the other way, people continue to develop and affirm the good of their culture while accepting other cultures. However, every person has different logic to solve social problems to fit their thinks and acts. Some people are willing to open their knowledge to study other cultures. Still, it does not mean that they can accept it. Some guys denounce, rebuttal, and offend others in special cases, especially with sensitive and controversial cultures are always a hot discussion in life, such as transgender or people of color, and so on. Suppose with modern communications, and transport people to know more about other cultures. This issue is also where many debates or conflicts have exploded on social sites between cultures with social situations. These conflicts will never stop since no one easily accepts that what they believed in for a long time is wrong. Such as George Orwell's "Shooting an Elephant" examines the devastating consequences of cultural imperialism. Others, such as Louise Erdrich's "Dear John Wayne" focus on how dominant cultural stereotypes distort and undermine the sense of self." The author insists that "The works in this section demonstrate how powerfully culture shapes identity." This fact means that culture is a part of human life. It has a huge effect on people's thinking and deciding on a job, friends, and relationships. It as if a signal to know who you are and where you come from. Therefore, a person who has a strong belief in their culture cannot accept other cultures, which stay on the opposite side or deny what they believe in for a long time.
Especially in America, which is known as a "Land of freedom" where people have conditions to show their thoughts or opinions. However, it never stops rising discrimination or ruckus problems between white people and people of color. When people have more good conflicts, they become fiercer and more thrilling than ever. Many white people maintain a disrespectful attitude toward people of color, assume black people are inferior people with impolite behavior. In contrast, many black people have an aversion to people of white. The story "Going to Meet the Man" by James Baldwin is the best testament to this. It clearly explains the risk and dangers they encounter when showing their identities or habits to the outside and explores racism's interweaving with the sexual violence against African Americans. This story is around Jesse as the main character. He is a white deputy southern sheriff and has an extreme aversion to black people. He believes that Black's identity is threats to destroying the country's civilization in which he lives. White people build "walls" between them and black people simply because their skin color symbolizes evil. However, when society is more developed, people also open their minds and gradually accept wrong beliefs. They should change it to make life better. Although discrimination cannot go away, it is reduced and is reducing. More and more people believe in their better life in the future without war, unfair treatment, and full of love. Story Going to Meet the Man is an excellent article. It shows off the difference between many different people's thinking and belief, from young to older, white people and people of color, in their daily lives at a complicated time for blacks to exist in America. And it also explains why white people always try to attack people of color. They feared that the black man's perceived sexual superiority could cost them their dominant role in society of the white race's presumed purity. Since then, racism and unfair treatment happened between the whites and blacks, so the quarrels between them never ended.
Last but not least, The short story collection by Ha Jin named “The Bridegroom” describes stories of various people with a different position set in society through 12 individual short situations about how their lives change in Chinese social life in Muji, which is a fictional city after they accept American culture. Since then, the waves intersecting between two independent cultures (American and Chinese) about economic, customs, individual, fashion, and authority appeared. The collection shows off the irony and insight into the human condition in different social problems besides love. The Bridegroom embodied the love between humans and humans, the love of the same sex and the love of their family with them, and so on. The author describes his experiences about how it is impossible to protect one's privacy or individual rights in Chinese society and unravel the backside of policies and societal deficiencies. For example, the first story, “Saboteur,” tells the story involves railroad police harass and requiring a university professor to confess to sabotaging crime while he is not doing that. The second is "Alive," a story of an amnesia man after an earthquake; then, he has to face disruptions in life. The story “The Bridegroom” refers to the most sensitive issue. The author pushes the main character, Baowen, into a situation of being jailed t treat for mental illness for being gay. The reader easily realizes the tolerance and generosity of Uncle Cheng to treat others to protect Baowen, and he is a person who has enough kind to understand for his child, even that he is just a nominal father. Therefore, the reader can extract many analyses from this book, but all ideas boil down to one concept that no matter the purpose of social form designed, the distinction will still occur between classes. And if you are unusual in China at that time, you have to pay a high price for that and become an outcast if you lose to prove that you are special, not unusual. In other words, it is super challenging for those at the start point or those who are pioneers in the fight for the right for their differences. However, after all, China is increasing acceptance of Western values' unconscious, and it creates more chances for the Chinese to show off their thinking and personal identity nowadays. Finally, Each short story has its own meaning and the message it wants to convey about the treatment of people with people in China or the changing of people life, logic thinking, or belief after events which happened to them. Then humans can accept other cultures easily and practice them in their life with all their respect.

Average: 5.6 (1 vote)