Understanding the role of informal sector in respect of municipal solid waste management system in Vietnam

In addition to efforts to mitigate the impact of climate change, governments around the world are struggling to cope with an internal problem - waste management and disposal. Driven by rapid urbanisation and population growth, the economies exists in a linear form and generated an enormous amount of waste from the sphere of production and consumption. According to the report of world Bank, if urgent action is not taken immediately, global waste is expected to lift by 70% at current levels by 2050 (Kaza et al., 2018).

On that account, many economies have begun to move towards more sustainable development by shifting to the model of a circular economy. In other words, the economy will efficiently operate and grown while minimising environmental impacts and externalities. Several countries have developed specific strategies, such as european countries with policies of turn-waste-into-resources through the 4Rs model - remanufacturing, refurbishing, repair, and direct reuse (european Union, 2017); Japan with the concept of Sound-Material-Cycle-Society (Moriguchi, 2007; Namiki, 2008); or the strategic policy of the United States that emphasised on waste prevention and recycling (Veracka & Bailey, 2000). This transformation, in which materials are used more effectively and waste is no longer created, requires a systematic consolidation of the hierarchical waste system in national economies. To achieve that goal, the development of an optimal waste management and treatment system should be a top priority. Even so, the management and treatment of waste have invariably been one of the biggest challenges faced by the major conurbations, particularly in the developing world. Without proper management, it would pose a serious threat to both environmental quality and human health.